Orders being out of stock or back orders are every dropshippers nightmare! Some would suggest that you have even just 1 stock handy in case something like this will happen, but this somehow takes away the dropship feel from dropshipping. Other sellers use more than 1 dropshipper to help cover for situations such as the one that happened to you.
I'm not sure how ready other members will be when it comes to sharing their products :) We can give you suggestions but you have to keep in mind that what may sell from our end may not necessarily sell at yours, this is why market research is essential to every online sellers' success!
If you haven't yet, I encourage you to take our Research lab for a spin - You might find your niche while doing a search :)
A great way to find niche markets and hot products to sell is by selling stuff from around your home.
There are two excellent reasons for starting out in this way:
(1) Feedback is hugely important for any eBay seller. With a feedback rating below 10, it is going to be difficult to get people to take you seriously. The first 100 sales are the hardest as buyers look for high feedback as reassurance that they can trust the seller. Generally, the higher your feedback, the better - with powerseller status being the ultimate goal.
(2) You get to sell a range of products and see what works well. The results may surprise you!
Nothing beats knowledge gained from experience and selling stuff from around the home is the best way to get it without any risk.
After some practice with goods from around the home, I recommend buying small wholesale lots of products that most people use on a daily basis.
Many of these products are excellent sellers, plus they are fairly easy to get hold of. A lot of new sellers make the mistake of trying to be all things to all people. In fact, it is far better to target a specific market, e.g. â€˜back to schoolâ€™.
* Clothing: accessories, plus sizes, maternity, night wear.
* Kitchen: recipes, knife sets, toasters, microwaves
* Beauty: sunscreen, insect repellent, cosmetic & toiletry bags, men's grooming
* Homewares: towels, sheets, rugs, throws, cushions, vases, mirrors
* Special occasion: wedding supplies, party supplies, mother-of-the bride outfits, bridal shoes, birthday cards
* Garden : lawn mowers, gardening tool sets, composter
Hobbies and Interests
One of the big reasons why people use eBay is to find unique items that they cannot find elsewhere. Before online auctions, collectors were limited by geography. The internet has enabled hundreds of communities to form around shared interests and this provides tons of niches to target. A quick browse of eBay's community groups will give you some ideas. There are groups as diverse as knitting, stay-at-home moms, business, hiking, gluten-free support group, vegans, travel, children's theatre, dieting, parenting, re-enactors, crochet, stamp collecting, pet care - the list goes on.
Remember that many of these hobbyists will also need components. For example, you may decide to sell embroidery threads, tools and patterns and how-to books; car parts; fabrics and trimmings.
We have various guides in our Education section to help you come up with what with profitable products to sell and a regular Market of the Week blog feature on Mondays, where we showcase a viable niche every week!
Should you need help in locating suitable dropshippers please let us know and we would be more than happy to help you find them!
All the best!
Sell more with your own professionally designed and search optimized e-commerce website. Check out