A theoretical question about sales tax

10 Dec 15 03:54:23 am
Im not the smartest person on this and I havent started my business yet, I want to learn as much as I can before starting... from what I understand, since I live in Michigan and well say my nexus (I do believe that is were my drop shipper or warehouse is) is in Nevada, I need to register my business in Michigan and Nevada, is this correct? and if my customer buys something from me from either one of those states, I must collect sales tax and provide it to that state, is this all correct?

If it is, my theoretical question is, if I dont sell anything to anyone in Michigan or Nevada, I would never have to pay or collect sales tax, is theoretical that correct? because were they will be buying is not a state that I would be registered in, is what I said correct?

My sales will be threw ebay and etsy

Site Admin
10 Dec 15 06:01:10 am
Hi Jared,

I just have to refer back to my suggestion to your previous post I'm afraid, and suggest you contact the authority on the link I provided to get clarification. While I have an opinion on an answer, I'm not an expert on your local tax regulations there in Michigan and don't feel comfortable passing on information that I'm not 100% on.

To be honest, I wouldn't suggest you take any other advice either, other than from someone who either trades in your state and has experience or is an expert in the field.

A quick call to that department and you will have you answer very quickly and it will be one that you can be 100% in.

Mark (fudjj)

Community Manager

Link hidden: Login to view
10 Dec 15 11:37:14 pm
I did contact them, actually I talked to a tax person that works for the state,she said that I need to register for michigan and where ever my nexus is at and collect sales tax there, so my theoretical question, is a question based of what they said, if I dont have a customer that buys from me from my state and my nexus state, then theoretically theres no sales tax that needs to be collected, correct?

Wait! Want Some FREE Supplier Details?

Discover four of the most profitable niches on eBay and get details for the best suppliers for these niches. Enter your details below and we will send them instantly.

Thanks! Please check your email inbox.

Your list of profitable markets and supplier details are on their way to your email inbox.
Be sure to add support@salehoo.com to your safelist to ensure we can deliver the free suppliers details to you.

If you haven't received an email from us in 5 minutes, please check your spam folder or email us at support@salehoo.com.