Domain name: dot com vs. dot net?

Free Member
hpygolkyone
After using the search engine on Salehoo and getting nowhere......I think it is safe to ask the following question:

With all the available search engines and the ability to just type in a "reasonably close" attempt at a website that you are looking for.....and then get there.....does trying to think of a really groovy dot com domain name, really trump a dot net domain name?

I am asking a rhetorical question here, because I know a dot com is always at the forefront of everyone's mind when they think of anything internet related. However, when I look for something on my search engine, I just get as close as I can to the domain and could care less if it has a dot com or dot net.

Is it a branding driven? Ego driven? Financially driven?

Little help? Anyone with me?

planes
dot com is the more desirable but dot net and even dot biz are becoming popular. IMO if one is starting a website for retail dot com is still the way to go but not a deal breaker.

Site Admin
fudjj
I think Planes has it pretty well right, most likely the dot com is the one most people go after. That said, in my opinion it really isn't a big deal, in fact you can use the other domains to good marketing effect.

I currently have a dot com and a dot co, that I market as a (co)mpany website. I had a little local TV production last year and had a dot TV domain I used for it, worked a treat.

I wouldn't hesitate to have a dot net or dot info and so on. I don't think the domain itself is of any real concern, it's more about how you market what you have that is important!

Mark (fudjj)

Community Manager
SaleHoo.com

Link hidden: Login to view
Free Member
hpygolkyone
Thanks for the input guys. I will not sweat it then.

John

Wait! Want Some FREE Supplier Details?

Discover four of the most profitable niches on eBay and get details for the best suppliers for these niches. Enter your details below and we will send them instantly.

Thanks! Please check your email inbox.

Your list of profitable markets and supplier details are on their way to your email inbox.
Be sure to add support@salehoo.com to your safelist to ensure we can deliver the free suppliers details to you.

If you haven't received an email from us in 5 minutes, please check your spam folder or email us at support@salehoo.com.