I need your help and advice

Free Member
johnster0777
Althoug h I already have my Salehoo store I decided to try to sell some of my products on ebay. However I realized that the products I want to sell there has a lot of seller competition and I should have gotten the hint not to even try to compete. I noticed that a lot of the sellers either buy straight from the manufacturer or they buy in large bulk and so they can afford to sell their items for a lower price then me. I was forced to lower my prices just to be able to compete with them but I lowered my profit margin to the point that I can only make $10. at the most for each item that I sell and that's if I'm lucky to make that amount because of my large price reduction and ebay fees. I feel like with that high level of competition that I"ll be lucky to sell at least one item. To make matters worse I signed up for an ebay store and they have restriction limit to the item category that I'm selling on. I paid for a full month already and I can't even add any more items from that same category until anywhere between 30 to 90 days and/or I meet ebay's selling requirements. In the meantime I'm screwed unless I find a nice item niche to start selling that doesn't have a lot of competition and until I find a nice reliable supplier that dropships. My question to you is if you can give me any advice on what I can do to resolve this issue? Or do you think that I'm a lot better off cancelling my subscription to my ebay store and just focus on selling all of my items on my salehoo store? I'd also like to ask you for any advice on writting good content on wordpress so that I can build a large audience which in turn might lead to having them make purchases from my store. Another thing that I also need your help with is how to get people to subscribe to my email letter for the purpose of email marketing. Your help and advice is highly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Juan Gonzalez

Link hidden: Login to view
Site Admin
fudjj
Hi Juan,

I like the way your thinking in regards to putting in certain processes to build a complete strategy, the email newsletter, the blog and so on. I would start by saying that if you are in a position where you are making 10 dollars an item, then that's actually pretty good I would say. As you realize, you are dealing in a crazy competitive market and profits are usually very thin across the board.

I look at eBay like I do a shopping mall. Imagine being a business that is opening up a store in a massive shopping mall that already has 300 retailers selling the exact same thing as you will be all lined up door to door..... you would probably be crazy for even considering doing something like that lol. Well that's only 300 competitors you would be up against, you're probably taking in the thousands of competitors you are up against on a site like eBay with a lot of items. So that kind of puts what you are up against into some sort of perspective when it comes to eBay.

Having said that, my personal opinion is that you need to be where the traffic is. Having your own store e levels down from the other 300 up top is great if the traffic is coming down those 3 levels, but the trick is getting them down those 3 levels to start with. What I am talking about of course is having your own independent site. I think the best long term strategy is to have both, your own store 3 levels down on your own, but renting space on the top floor to promote where you are.

That's how I see eBay long term. You're focus should be on building and developing a quality site of your own, then you use eBay more as a marketing tool. More and more sellers are doing this now, which of course is driving eBay prices even lower. What you do is sell at cost, I mean your total cost, so you cover the item, the shipping and the fees and you get ZERO from the deal

OK, so ZERO cash, but valuable marketing exposure. Because now you have the contact details of the customer and you can market to them directly. 10% off your next order over 50 as a thank you for your purchase, join the VIP club and get great monthly discounts and so on. The key is getting that open marketing exposure outside of the eBay walls. Now that all takes time to build on, but it's the end game strategy that I would employ personally if I were still involved in e-tail

Regarding writing good copy for a blog, you know I think there is a definite mathamatic equation to doing that. That exact formula probably depends on your products really, but key points that I think make good copy are a level of humor, information and the ability to create a desire for the product. Not everyone knows what they want, and the mistake a lot of sellers make is that they think they do, so they don't try hard enough to create a sale.

I started selling Amway door to door when I was 15 years old lol, so I learnt that it hurt to get your nose slammed in a door very early, but I also learnt that people could be talked into buying a product that they didn't even want when they first opened the door. A good salesperson can sell, they sell, I mean they don't just show people things that someone is eager to buy, we call those presenters, they aren't salespeople. The art of selling is to create a desire, give the customer the reason they need to buy the product, that's what a good salesperson does.

So when writing copy for anything, blog, item description, whatever it is, you should always be thinking about creating that desire, looking for triggers that your product presents that you can pull. They're all there, most are hidden, but the true art to online marketing in that form is finding them all and exploiting them to create that buying response from your customer.

You're on the right track Juan, you're thinking, you're not just plonking a product there and wondering why it isn't selling. That thinking is 90% of the game right there!

Mark (fudjj)

Community Manager
SaleHoo.com

Free Member
johnster0777
Thank you for your great advice, you gave me a great idea to start doing on my item descriptions and on google adwords and other pay per click ads. You should make this into a sticky 'cause this might come in handy for someone else.

Kind Regards,

Juan Gonzalez

rsbg1981
And it just did Juan. Hello guys. I'm Jon and I too am new to the whole e-commerce world of entrepreneurism and i hope I've landed in the right place. I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I land flat on my face and broke as a joke. My main question so far was just asked by Juan and it makes me feel better to know I'm not the only new guy with questions. Anyway, thanks guys.

Wait! Want Some FREE Supplier Details?

Discover four of the most profitable niches on eBay and get details for the best suppliers for these niches. Enter your details below and we will send them instantly.

Thanks! Please check your email inbox.

Your list of profitable markets and supplier details are on their way to your email inbox.
Be sure to add support@salehoo.com to your safelist to ensure we can deliver the free suppliers details to you.

If you haven't received an email from us in 5 minutes, please check your spam folder or email us at support@salehoo.com.