Questions on getting started

maasmith
I am wanting to get started in selling goods online and I am trying to figure out the best way to get started. According to other posts, it looks like I may want to start with a few liquidation items. I was wanting to sell on ebay but my original fear was confirmed...I just cannot find goods cheap enough to compete on ebay. So here is where i need the advice. Would it be a good idea to start with ecrater or bonanzle to sell liquidation and maybe some dropshipped items or should I start my own online store or what. My problem is marketing. I do not know how to attract traffic yet so I am kind of afraid of starting an online store right now. Anyway, I am looking for some solid starting advice from anybody willing to help me get started. Also, I do not have much money to invest so I will have to start small. Thanks in advance.

Site Admin
fudjj
I think you have summed it up pretty well, wholesale won't cut it on ebay,and even if it did you would have to buy in serious volume to have a chance of competing against the big sellers.

Liquidation can be a good option, but educate yourself about what to buy, and where to buy it from, because there are pit falls.

Buying liquidated products is like wholesale, the bigger the volume you buy, the bigger your savings, however small carton lots can get you started in this business.

Both jimmy and myself deal in liquidated stock so feel free to ask either one of us for any specific advice.

Second hand items won't give you the same reliable source, but you can find some great stuff that will also give you great margin, and can do very well on sites such as ebay, and of course $50.00 can buy you a lot when going to yard sales and weekend markets.

You have to be a smart shopper and be prepared to haggle for the best price, but second hand is a good avenue to look at.

As for selling avenues, ebay will give you the most traffic, and therefore a better selling opportunity. Bonanzle is great because it does provide you a free platform to work from, and everyone there is trying hard to increase traffic to the site overall, but at the moment I would doubt if your would have strong sales potential there.

Stay away from your own developing your own site, not worth the drama, especially when a site like bonanzle offers you pretty much everything you really to start trading, and costs you nothing, not even hosting, if you aren't making sales.

We use a booth at bonanzle to sell out liquidated stock, it's great for us, but we drive traffic there from other avenues, and our market is also different, as we are a b2b structure.

In summary, ebay will give you the best selling avenue, second hand and liquidated stock sources can provide you with a buying avenue.

Good luck!

Mark (fudjj)

Community Manager
SaleHoo.com

Link hidden: Login to view
maasmith
What is your opinion on an ebay store? Is it worth the fees or should I just sell with out it?

Site Admin
fudjj
That would be dependent on the volume of stock you are listing, and it sounds to me that you will be starting out with smaller volumes, that being the case, a shop would just be an extra expensive to the already substantial fees you will be paying.

Starting out with anything less than 20-25 products, I would not be considering the shop option myself.

Mark (fudjj)

Community Manager
SaleHoo.com

Link hidden: Login to view

Wait! Want Some FREE Supplier Details?

Discover four of the most profitable niches on eBay and get details for the best suppliers for these niches. Enter your details below and we will send them instantly.

Thanks! Please check your email inbox.

Your list of profitable markets and supplier details are on their way to your email inbox.
Be sure to add support@salehoo.com to your safelist to ensure we can deliver the free suppliers details to you.

If you haven't received an email from us in 5 minutes, please check your spam folder or email us at support@salehoo.com.