Instagram isn't all about images. Sure, they catch attention and pique curiosity. But without words that provide context and a sense of direction, your Instagram photos won't make any sense.
It's hard to ignore Instagram's potential as a marketing tool. With one billion monthly active users and 500 million daily active users, Instagram allows individuals and businesses to reach a massive global audience.
That in mind, make the most of your Instagram marketing efforts by putting as much thought into your captions as your photos. Your Instagram captions shouldn't be just an afterthought!
What is an Instagram Caption?
An Instagram caption is a short description (up to 2,200 characters) that complements an Instagram photo by giving it context, telling the story behind it, or sparking interest about a brand. It may include hashtags, tags, and emojis.
Why You Need Good Instagram Captions
Instagram captions give businesses and influencers an opportunity to begin a conversation with their followers and build an engaged community. They help increase brand reach, awareness, engagement, and ultimately, conversions.
Effective captions on Instagram can drive people not only to like your posts but also to comment, share, click a link on your bio, follow your profile, or even buy from you.
That's how powerful Instagram captions are. To win your Instagram marketing game, writing compelling captions should be an integral part of your strategy.
20 Tips and Ideas on Writing the Perfect Instagram Caption
But here's the thing—it's tricky to create good Instagram captions. No single formula defines success. A particular caption may work for a brand but not for another.
There are also many things to decide on. Should your caption be long or short? Serious or funny? Hard-sell or informative? Have hashtags/emojis or not?
Nail your Instagram captions with these 20 tips:
1. Identify your target audience
Do you know exactly who you're speaking to on Instagram? If you understand who they are and what they care about, it's easier to tailor your captions to their expectations and needs.
Start with creating audience personas that represent your target market. Details must include their gender, age, location, job, interests, goals, and pain points.
Knowing your target audience enables you to make the right decisions, like if you should use an emoji or make a pop culture reference in your Instagram captions.
2. Use your brand voice consistently
A consistent brand voice across your social media channels establishes an emotional connection with your audience. For example, if you're promoting a beach resort for surfers, your brand voice can be fun, bold, and adventurous.
Your Instagram captions must reflect the same brand voice with the rest of your marketing channels. Otherwise, people will have a hard time remembering your brand and may get confused about what it stands for.
3. Put your key point at the beginning
Only the first three to four lines of an Instagram caption are visible in the user's feed. The rest gets cut off, so make sure to front-load your captions with the most important message. The hashtags, tags, and less important stuff can be placed at the end. Hook people right away with your first sentence to get them to tap "More" and view the rest of your caption.
4. Break down a long text into short paragraphs
It's fine to use a longer caption if the post calls for it, like sharing a recipe or human-interest story. Make it easier on the eyes by dividing a long paragraph into bite-sized ones. People are more likely to read several short paragraphs than a large chunk of text.
5. Write and rewrite several times
Creativity can't be rushed. This is why it's difficult to create a good Instagram caption on the spot. Instead, come up with multiple drafts, pick the best one, and edit your caption before posting it.
Just as you spend time taking different shots for your Instagram photos and adding filters, make time for writing several drafts for your captions. Even better, have someone else check the drafts, spot errors, and suggest improvements.
6. Be concise
With Instagram's 2,200 character limit and shortening of captions after three to four lines, you're compelled to get your point across in the fewest words possible. Especially if the image is already striking and powerful, write just a short and straightforward caption and let the photo do most of the talking.
7. Check for typos and grammar errors
Instagram is an informal social channel, but it doesn't mean you can just let glaring grammar errors creep into your captions. Always proofread carefully before you post.
8. Keep a friendly and conversational tone
When writing a caption for your Instagram post, adjust your communication style to this platform. Unlike LinkedIn where posts have formal and professional tone, Instagram is more informal and relaxed.
The key to writing good Instagram captions is to sound like a human talking to a friend. Keep things light and fun. This way, your brand will be more relatable and trustworthy for your audience.
9. Have a clear call to action (CTA)
In your Instagram captions, don't miss the opportunity to ask users to do any of these things that will increase your engagement rates:
- Follow your Instagram account
- Answer a question by leaving a comment
- Tag their friends in the comments
- Try your product/service and share their experience in the comments
- Click a link on your profile to read your latest blog post or check out your latest offerings
- Share your post on their Instagram Stories
- Tag you in their photos with your product
- Join your contest
Your CTAs must be compelling enough to prompt people to do what you want them to. Use strong action words such as "learn," "find out," "discover," "share," "start," and "stop."
10. Provide value
People love following accounts and sharing posts that provide useful information, like tips, techniques, and advice related to your product or niche. No matter what industry you're in, you can always share something valuable with your audience. Offer something helpful every now and then through your Instagram captions.
For example, clothing brand H&M occasionally dishes out some styling tips like the one below:
11. Ask a question
The best Instagram captions usually start with a question—it's the perfect conversation starter. People love sharing their thoughts on social media, even if they're not being asked. Your followers would love your brand even more if you show you're interested in what they have to say.
Questions for Instagram captions can be as simple as what their weekend plans are or where they want to travel. Rhetorical questions ("What would you do if…") are just as effective. You may also ask them to share a particular experience or their feedback on a new product.
The answers can reveal insights about your target customers, which can help improve your product and Instagram marketing strategy.
Also, don't forget to reply to your followers—this will definitely encourage them to interact more with your brand and boost your social media engagement.
12. Run an Instagram contest
Another effective way to engage your audience and promote your brand is to organize a contest on Instagram. Your caption must include clear and easy-to-understand game mechanics, what prizes are at stake, and words like "contest," "giveaway," or "challenge."
You can ask people to follow you, like your post, repost your photo, leave a comment, tag their friends in the comments, or post their photos using your products and tag you.
13. Repost your followers' posts
Show your followers some Insta love! Featuring user-generated content on your Instagram feed is a simple yet powerful way to let people feel appreciated and encourage them to post more about your brand.
GoPro is a master of this Instagram caption strategy. Its "Photo of the Day" posts regularly feature GoPro shots by its followers. The captions are just as captivating as the photos.
14. Tap into your followers’ emotions
Trying to sell something? Use your Instagram captions to trigger any of these emotions from your followers:
- Joy ("Using this product will make me feel better about myself.")
- Fear ("I should buy it now before stocks run out!")
- Trust ("Other customers are happy with this product, so it's worth a try.")
- Sense of belongingness ("This brand makes me feel like I'm welcome to their family.")
Including a testimonial in your Instagram caption is a great idea for evoking a certain feeling from your audience, just like the caption below.
15. Share a behind-the-scenes story
When posting about your brand or products, just describing them won't cut it. Consider featuring behind-the-scenes content from time to time, so people will get to know your brand better. For example, you can tell about how your team brainstorms on your next innovation or how your new product is made.
Take your cue from how Lush Cosmetics does it.
16. Tell a story
Everybody loves a good real-life story. No wonder storytelling is often used in marketing and advertising campaigns. Even in Instagram captions, telling stories about people brings a human touch to a brand.
Storytelling is an effective strategy to use in captions for posts about a company's employees, customers, and other people whose stories are worth sharing. Think Humans of New York-style captions.
17. Inject some humor
Who doesn't want a good laugh? Instagram is the ideal place for lighthearted posts. It doesn't hurt to use a joke, pun, or any clever line in your Instagram captions. Humor will seriously get your brand noticed.
Take this amusingly punny caption by Six Chicks Soapworks as an example (Notice how a follower retorted with another pun):
18. Add mentions
Widen your brand reach and connect with other Instagram users by mentioning them in your caption rather than just tagging them in the photo. It's a great way to promote your partner brands, customers, and suppliers.
Here's an example of how a stylist mentions other Instagram users in one of her captions:
19. Use emojis
Show your brand personality and add some personal touch through emojis in your Instagram captions. Don't be afraid to use these cartoon-like icons no matter how serious your brand is, as long as they're related to your message and you're not overusing them.
Look at how the use of emojis amps up the adorable factor of this Instagram caption:
Your Instagram captions are a great place to let your followers know about your other digital marketing channels—your website, blog, Facebook page, Twitter account, etc. This will drive more traffic to these platform, especially if you have a large following on Instagram.
310 Best Instagram Captions for Your Photos
Thinking of a fitting caption to accompany your Instagram photo can be draining at times. We've curated some of the best Instagram captions for when you're running out of ideas. Feel free to choose and modify them to suit your brand, message, and audience.
Funny Instagram Captions
- Friday... Our second favorite F word.
- When I feel like giving up on my dreams, I keep sleeping.
- We tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes of our lives!
- If you love something, let it go. If it comes back, it was meant to be. If it does not, hunt it down and kill it.
- The best workout is a cross between a lunge and a crunch—LUNCH.
- We all have that one friend…
- What if we told you... You can eat without posting it on Instagram?
- Handle every situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, just pee on it and walk away.
- Mirror: You look amazing today. Camera: Nope, you don’t.
- An apple a day keeps the doctor away. But if doctor is cute, forget the fruit.
- The first five days after the weekend are always the toughest.
- We don't care what people think of us. Unless they're our customers.
Witty Instagram Captions
- Life is simple. It's just not easy.
- Normal is boring.
- People will judge everything you do, so you do you.
- Having a soft heart in a cruel world is courage, not weakness.
- Rejection is just redirection.
- You never realize how boring your life is until someone asks you what you do for fun.
- Less is more. Unless it's kindness, sleep, or toilet paper.
- The world is changed by your example, not your opinion.
- Stop working hard and start working smart.
- Whoever said that money can’t buy happiness simply didn’t know where to go shopping.” - Bo Derek
- After Tuesdays, even the calendar goes WTF.
- When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. When [company name] gives you [type of product], you make money.
- When nothing goes right, go left.
- Be a pineapple: Stand tall, wear a crown, and be sweet on the inside.
- Life is a one-time offer. Use it well.
- Be a little more you, and a lot less them.
- The road to success is always under construction.
- Find beauty in the small things.
- Be a Warrior, not a Worrier.
- Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out of it alive.
- Life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced.
- The fridge is a clear example that what matters is on the inside.
- Memes are just normal posts if you don’t have a best friend to tag.
- Stop looking for happiness in the same place you just lost it.
- No one is you. That’s your power!
- Life is like a balloon. If you never let go, you'll not know how high you can rise.
- "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one." – John Lennon, "Imagine"
- "I'm gonna live like tomorrow doesn't exist." – Sia, "Chandelier"
- "If you give, you begin to live." – Dave Matthews Band, "You Might Die Trying
- "Don't be a hard rock when you really are a gem." – Lauryn Hill, “Doo Wop (That Thing)”
- “Live for today, plan for tomorrow, party tonight” – Drake, "The Real Her"
- "No point in holding onto what's broken, so let's live in the moment. When one door closes, another one opens. Stop trying to control it and start living in the moment." – Craig David, "Live in the Moment"
- “Hands in the air like we don't care." – Miley Cyrus, "We Can't Stop"
- “Know yourself, know your worth.” – Drake, “0 to 100”
- “Every little thing is gonna be alright!” – Bob Marley
- “You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow. This opportunity comes once in a lifetime.” – Eminem, "Lose Yourself"
- “I could build a castle out of all the bricks they threw at me.” – Taylor Swift, "New Romantics"
- “I'ma keep running because a winner don't quit on themselves." – Beyonce, "Freedom"
- "All you need is love, love. Love is all you need." – The Beatles, "All You Need is Love"
- "Be your own hero." – Maggie Mayhem, Whip It
- "Just keep swimming." – Dory, Finding Nemo
- "Some people are worth melting for." – Olaf, Frozen
- "Remember who you are." – Mufasa, The Lion King
- "You cannot live your life to please others. The choice must be yours." – White Queen, Alice In Wonderland
- "The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all." – The Emperor, Mulan
- "Never be in a hurry. You'll miss the best parts in life." – Barbary Coast, Around the World in 80 Days
- "No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world." – John Keating, Dead Poets Society
- "Life is not the amount of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away." – Alex Hitchens, Hitch
- "Sometimes the right path is not the easiest one." -– Grandmother Willow, Pocahontas
- "No one ever made a difference by being like anyone else." – P.T. Barnum, The Greatest Showman
- "Life is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get." – Forrest Gump
- "Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, when one only remembers to turn on the light." – Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- “It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- "I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you’re not, I hope you have the courage to start all over again." – Benjamin Button, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
- "Balance, my darling, is not letting anybody love you less than you love yourself." – Felipe, Eat Pray Love
- "To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, to draw closer, to find each other and to feel. That is the purpose of life.” – Walter Mitty, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
- "We are who we choose to be." – Green Goblin, Spiderman
- "More connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis, the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers." – T'Challa, Black Panther
- “Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear.” – Meg Cabot, The Princess Diaries
Feel-Good Instagram Captions
- Be happy. It drives people crazy.
- Every day may not be good, but there's good in every day.
- When you can't find the sunshine, be the sunshine.
- The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.
Motivational Instagram Captions
- Aspire to inspire.
- Don’t talk, just act. Don’t say, just show. Don’t promise, just prove.
- Express gratitude. Regret nothing.
- It always seems impossible until it’s done.
- Clear your mind of can't.
- “If you can dream it, you can do it.” – Walt Disney
- If it doesn’t challenge you, it doesn’t change you.
- "'Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving." - Albert Einstein
- Success is a series of small wins.
- "Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." – John Wooden
- Say yes, take risks, and live life on your own terms.
- Life is tough, but so are you.
- The comeback is always stronger than the setback.
- You don't have to be perfect to be amazing.
- Better an "oops" than a "what if."
- If you want opportunity to knock, it’s time to build a door.
- "If not now, then when? If not you, then who? – Hillel the Elder
- Your best teacher is your last mistake.
- If you don’t believe in yourself, who will?
- Dreams don’t have expiration dates. Keep going.
- When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
- "Discipline is choosing between what you want now and what you want most." – Abraham Lincoln
- Never sacrifice three things: Family, love, and yourself.
- Every once in a while, ditch your comfort zone.
- Be the person you needed when you were young.
- "Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are." – John Wooden
- Life is about taking chances and having fun.
- Direction is more important than speed.
- Be a voice, not an echo.
- Be the EXTRA in extraordinary.
- “Stop whining, start hustling.” – Gary Vaynerchuk
- Your life, your rules.
- You’re like a four-leaf clover: Hard to find and lucky to have.
- Take the risk or lose the chance.
- "Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it." – Maya Angelou
- Mistakes are proof that you’ve tried.
- Life is only as legendary as you make it.
- Believe. Achieve. Succeed.
- "Success occurs when opportunity meets preparation." – Zig Ziglar
- We rise by lifting others.
- "It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation." – Herman Melville
- “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step” – Chinese Proverb
- Just wing it. Life, eyeliner, everything."
- Own what’s yours.
- Old ways won’t open new doors.
- "The secret of getting ahead is getting started." – Mark Twain
- "Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn." - John C. Maxwell
- "Failure is not the opposite of success; it’s part of success." – Arianna Huffington
Questions for Instagram Captions
- Who else is having a good day?
- What are you thankful for today?
- What are you up to this weekend?
- What’s your favorite kind of weather?
- What goal are you working toward right now?
- What’s your biggest fear?
- What’s one lesson you learned today?
- What’s at the top of your bucket list?
- What’s your favorite quote?
- Coffee or tea?
- Pizza or burger?
- What is your first thought when you leave the office on Friday?
- Where in the world do you call home?
- If you could be doing anything right now, what would it be?
- If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go first?
- Where are you traveling to next?
- What’s your favorite memory?
- What’s your favorite comfort food?
- Who is your favorite person?
- Who inspires you?
- Yes or No?
- What do you think of this?
- How awesome is this?
- Which [fill in the blank] are you?
- How do you say “love” in your language?
- What’s an emoji for your mood right now?
- What’s your most used emoji?
- Where’s your favorite place to shop right now?
- Are you a dog person or a cat person?
- What’s the funniest movie you’ve ever seen?
Instagram Captions for Summer
- Don’t worry, beach happy.
- If there's a will, there's a wave.
- Daily dose of Vitamin Sea
- Girls just wanna have sun.
- Good times and tan lines.
- Blue skies, high tides and good vibes.
- Less Mondays, more summer please!
- Vacation mode on!
- Tangled hair, don’t care.
- Sunsets > Netflix
- Happiness is a day at the beach. Or two. Or three.
- The tans will fade, but the memories will last forever.
- Let the waves hit your feet, and the sand is your seat.
- How to have a beach body: 1. Have a body 2. Go to the beach.
- Life’s better in a bikini.
Instagram Captions About Travel
- Adventure, here we come!
- We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.
- Work. Save. Travel. Repeat.
- Carpe diem (Seize the day!)
- Just gonna cross this off the bucket list…
- Let life surprise you.
- Collect moments, not things.
- Memories made together last forever.
- It's a big world out there. Go and explore!
- Work hard, travel harder.
- Take only memories, leave only footprints.
- “A journey is best measured in friends rather than miles.” – Tim Cahill
- Say yes to new adventures!
- The only vacation you’ll ever regret is the one you don’t take.
- Wander often, wonder always.
- BEACH: Best Escape Anyone Can Have
- “If you think adventure is dangerous; try routine. It’s lethal.” – Paulo Coelho
- By getting lost in nature, you get closer to finding yourself
- Looking for heaven on earth? Step outside!
- Wherever you go, leave a trail.
- "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." – Saint Augustine
Instagram Captions About Food
- You can’t live a full life on an empty stomach.
- You’re one in a melon.
- You have stolen a pizza our hearts.
- Cooking rule: If at first you don’t succeed, order pizza.
- Good food = Good mood
- I’m on a seafood diet. I see food; I eat it.
- Chocolate is cheaper than therapy.
- Espresso yourself.
- Did you say exercise? Or extra fries?
- Waffles are just pancakes with abs.
- Smoking will kill you… Bacon will kill you… But smoking bacon will cure it.
- When you’re downie, eat a brownie.
- Be a cupcake in a world of muffins.
- My head says gym, but my heart says donuts.
- I'm just a girl, standing in front of a salad, asking it to be a pizza.
- Wine + Dinner = Winner
- In pizza, we crust.
- Crazy pho you
Instagram Captions About Pets
- Love is a four-legged word.
- You are pawfection.
- Warning: cuteness overload.
- Who let the dogs out?
- Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.
- You're purrfect.
- Home is where the cat/dog is.
- A house is not a home without a dog.
- Life is better with cats/dogs.
- The world would be a better place if everybody had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.
- “Dog is God spelled backward.” – Duane Chapman
- Hope you have a pawsome day.
- Are you feline good today?
- What did we do to deserve dogs?
- "Learn a lesson from your dog. No matter what life brings you, kick some grass over that sh*t and move on." – Someecards
- Cats know how we feel. They don’t care. But they know.
- Anything is pawsible.
- Just taking some time to paws and reflect.
Instagram Captions About Beauty
- Be your own kind of beautiful.
- Home is where your makeup stash is.
- Shine like the whole universe is yours.
- On a bad day, there's always lipstick.
- Don't let anyone ever dull your sparkle.
- Confidence breeds beauty.
- Self-confidence is the best outfit. Rock it and own it.
- May your eyeliner be even and your foundation perfectly blended.
- Wake up and make-up!
Instagram Captions About Fashion
- "People will stare. Make it worth their while." – Harry Winston
- “Always dress like you’re going to see your worst enemy.” – Kimora Lee
- "Fashions fade, style is eternal." – Yves Saint Laurent
- “Give a girl the right shoes, and she can conquer the world.” – Marilyn Monroe
- “Trendy is the last stage before tacky.” – Karl Lagerfeld
- "Style is a way to say who you are without having to speak." – Rachel Zoe
- "You can never take too much care over the choice of your shoes. Too many women think that they are unimportant, but the real proof of an elegant woman is what is on her feet.” – Christian Dior
- “Fashion has to reflect who you are, what you feel at the moment, and where you’re going.” – Pharrell Williams
- "One is never over-dressed or under-dressed with a Little Black Dress." – Karl Lagerfeld
- Never underestimate the power of a good outfit on a bad day.
- "I firmly believe that with the right footwear, one can rule the world." – Bette Midler
- “Fashion is like eating. You shouldn’t stick to the same menu.” – Kenzo Takada
- "What you wear is how you present yourself to the world, especially today, when human contacts are so quick. Fashion is instant language." – Miuccia Prada
- "Fashion is about dressing according to what’s fashionable. Style is more about being yourself." – Oscar de la Renta
- "Glamor never takes a day off." – Iman
- “Shoes transform your body language and attitude. They lift you physically and emotionally.” – Christian Louboutin
- “Fashion is the armor to survive the reality of everyday life.” – Bill Cunningham
- “A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous.” – Coco Chanel
Instagram Captions for Christmas
- Silent night… Oh, well we tried.
- "It is Christmas in the heart that puts Christmas in the air." – W.T. Ellis
- All the jingle ladies
- Believe in your elf.
- "Christmas is like candy; it slowly melts in your mouth sweetening every taste bud, making you wish it could last forever." – Richelle E. Goodrich
- Make it a December to remember.
- "The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree: The presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other." – Burton Hills
- Naughty or nice?
- "Love the giver more than the gift." – Brigham Young
Instagram Captions for New Year
- New Year, New [fill in the blank].
- Here’s to 12 new chapters!
- The best is yet to come.
- 365 new days, chances, and opportunities to go after.
- 12 months to a better you.
- This year will be the best yet.
Instagram Captions About Fitness
- Every day is a good day to work out.
- Stop saying and start doing.
- Be stronger than your excuses!
- We don’t grow when things are easy. We grow when we face challenges.
- There’s only one bad workout—the one you haven’t done.
- You don’t have to be extreme; just consistent.
- Believe you can, and you are half way there.
- Everyone must choose one of the two things: The pain of discipline or the pain of regret.
- You're much stronger than you think.
- Eat less sugar. You're sweet enough already.
- When your 9-5 is over, let’s get our real workout on!
- Everything in moderation—even wine! Did you know having a glass of red wine a day is actually good for you?
- Results do not come overnight.
- When life gives you lemons, ask for something with more protein.
Instagram Captions About Health and Wellness
- Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live.
- Make yourself a priority once in a while. It's not selfish—it's necessary.
- Every day is a fresh start to get healthy.
- A healthy outside starts from the inside.
- Life is chaotic, so make sure you take time for yourself!
- You gotta nourish to flourish.
- Your health is an investment, not an expense.
Wedding Instagram Captions
- Two souls, one heart.
- Keep calm and just say “I do.
- Keep calm and put a ring on.
- Achievement unlocked: Together Forever.
- You don’t marry the person you can live with. You marry the person who you cannot live without.
- Anyone can catch your eye, but it takes someone special to catch your heart.
- Together is a beautiful place to be.
- You were love at first swipe.
- The best place on earth is next to you.
- Being married is like having the freedom to do whatever your wife tells you.
- Diamonds are forever, and so is this love.
- When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.
- Love is just a word until someone comes along and gives it meaning.
- “A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.” – Mignon McLaughlin
- Sealed with a kiss!
- True love stories never have endings, but they have beginnings.
- Here’s to love and laughter and happily ever after!
- The best time for a new beginning is now.
- To love, laughter, and happily ever after.
- Together is a beautiful place to be.
- True love stories never have endings.
- Two souls but a single thought, two hearts that beat as one.
Hashtags take your Instagram captions a step further. When people search for a certain hashtag, your post with that hashtag might show up in the Explore page.
To maximize your discoverability and reach on Instagram, consider using popular hashtags that are relevant to your brand or posts.
Here are 20 of the most used general hashtags on Instagram in 2023, according to TechJunkie:
If you're looking for something more specific, here are the popular hashtags per category:
- #ootd (or #outfitoftheday)
Did you know that Instagram captions with at least one hashtag get 12.6% more engagement?
So be strategic when using hashtags. These five tips should help you make the most of your hashtag use for Instagram marketing.
In addition to popular hashtags, use hashtags that are relevant and specific to your audience. Most likely, these are the ones that are engaging. Check the hashtags commonly used by your audience, competitors, and industry experts.
Come up with a hashtag for your brand and use it consistently in your Instagram captions. You can also create different hashtags for your products, content categories, and marketing campaigns.
Once you have your own branded hashtag, encourage your audience to use your hashtag when posting about your brand or product. When running an Instagram contest, ask participants to use your branded hashtag in their posts.
In doing so, you raise your chance of getting discovered on Instagram because more people are talking about your brand.
Instagram allows up to 30 hashtags per post. But that doesn't mean you should fill your captions with too many hashtags, which can make them look cluttered and difficult to read. Not to mention that people will find your posts spammy.
A recent study found that most Instagram posts use only one to three hashtags. You may use more for your Instagram captions, but make sure they're all relevant to your brand and message.
If you really have to use more than four hashtags in a post, put them at the end of the caption. But for a clutter-free caption, hide your hashtags by putting them in the first comment on your photo after posting it. This way, your audience can simply focus on your Instagram photo and caption.
Some inappropriate hashtags are blocked by Instagram. If a hashtag is banned, it can't be searched on the social media platform. Using a banned hashtag will keep your post from being discovered on Instagram.
When in doubt about using a certain hashtag, check the list of Instagram-banned hashtags before posting it.