The major upside to drop shipping is that you are not tying up all your money by holding stock that will depreciate. The downside down side is delivery time frames and warranties claims back to the likes of china.
If you are starting out and looking to drop ship here is a good way start.
1) set up an area for yourself that is quiet, like an office this way you can be in your own head space )
Start by getting in contact with U.S Customs and visit their website to see the in's and out of importing so you do not get in any trouble. Salehoo staff are very helpful in this area as well )
Second i would sit down and write yourself a plan of what you would like to sell, uses the directory in salehoo as it offers a massive category range of different types of suppliers offering different products. Compare your suppliers and introduce yourself and see what they can do for you to help your business with dropshipping. Prices etc
3) i would do a market anaysis and see what products are selling for on the likes of e-bay so you remain competitive and make $$$.
4) Start with one supplier you are happy with and bulid from there. As you will get more confidant and want to strech your wings further to look for better suppliers and better deals as time goes on.
5) once you have been trading for around 3 months i would take the time to make an appointment to see a local accountant as these guys will help guide you in the right direction when it comes to paying taxes. they will also help you with tax advantages.
6) Built a webiste and advertise, advertise, advertise!!!!!
there are lots of free website building sites like
7) Don't ever stress, customers can be demading at times especially with delays in delivery around xmas. Keep in constant contact with your customers and suppliers as you will find dealing with customers that HONESTY IS THE BEST POLICY. Some people you just cannot change the they way they think but at least you know in your heart you did everything you could.
When using e-bay and other auction sites:
Bad feed back is inevitable, NO ONE IS PERFECT and YOU CANT PLEASE EVERYONE. do not let this get you down as it will eat you alive!!!! people will still buy from you!!!
once you feel like you have the ball rolling start a database of customers and offer them special deals to make sales.
thats all i can really think of at the moment but please PM me if you have any questions, i am only too happy to help )