I'm no twitter guru myself and I may pretty much need as much advise as you do..lol but I stumbled upon this article that provides Link hidden: Login to view to help you build your twitter followers list.
1. Design your twitter page- Take the time to fill out you bio and website on Twitter, and upload a decent headshot or icon so people can see that you are a real person, and decide to follow you. Also consider making a custom background to better convey info about yourself.
2. Wefollow- Wefollow.com is a directory of twitter users list yourself under the appropriate categories so like minded people can find you.
3. Hash Tags- Use has tags which look like this: #yourkeyword to describe what your tweet is about people track these and will follow you.
4. Comment, ReTweet, Reply- Engage people in conversation using questions, comments, and retweets if you are interesting real people will follow.
5. Advertise your Twitter- Put your twitter profile on all of your social media profiles, websites, and also in your signatures on forums, and emails to gain more followers.
6. Hoot Suite- Hootsuite is an online application that is like a head up display for your twitter accounts. The best feature as far as followers go is prescheduling tweets if you have a regular stream of tweets followers will increase, and your current followers can be more engaged.
7. Mr. Tweet- Mr. Tweet lets you follow or recommend users based on your interests and niche you can follow up to 50 a day.
8. Twitter Match- Twittermatch.com follow users based on your chosen keywords and often they will follow you back
9. Buzzom- Buzzom.com lets you grow your followers based on your interests and flush those who arenâ€™t following you back. After you have used these other steps to follow hundreds or thousands of people give them about 3-5 days to see if they will follow back and flush the non followers.
10. The Twit Cleaner- After using these other steps to dramatically grow your following use TheTwitCleaner.com to show you who is just a spammer, inactive or otherwise uninterested in what you have to say. The best part is it will unfollow them in mass for free.
As for Facebook, I would say your presence is also key. Make your fans feel that you are there by posting regular updates either to share something interesting (try to keep it related to your business as much as possible) or simply to say 'Hi, how are you guys doing?' - the key is to strike up a conversation with your fans and build/develop interaction!
But first how do let people know about your Facebok page? Through advertising it! You can link your website to your fan page and likewise your fan page to your website. If you have business partners or employees (you can even ask family and friends who support you) to add a link of your Facebook page to their e-mail signatures, likewise you can do the same when you post on forums.
Another approach would be to link your Facebook page on Twitter and in your website's blog. Posting a targeted ads may also increase your fan page likes.
I think you will find the tips in Alice's blog on Using Facebook to promote eBay listings just as helpful - Link hidden: Login to view
Hope this helps increase your followers and fans :)