A seller's permit is required for retailers who buy or sell tangible, taxable items. It is required to buy wholesale and sell retail or sell wholesale.
WHEN DO YOU NEED A SELLERâ€™S PERMIT (SALES TAX ID)?
* If you live in the USA or Canada. Most states have a sales tax, but there are a couple that donâ€™t. If you reside in one of these states just let the wholesaler know and they may have a different form or requirement for you to complete.
* If you sell online to make money (i.e. You sell more seriously than just getting rid of a few old things from around the house every now and then). You need a sellerâ€™s permit so you can charge and collect taxes, which youâ€™ll pay to your state government later.
* If you want to purchase goods wholesale from a US supplier (and you are also based in the US), you need a sellerâ€™s permit to buy wholesale sales tax free.
Although itâ€™s not necessary for SaleHoo members to have a sellerâ€™s permit and a registered business for them to use many of the suppliers in our directory, we strongly recommend you get one as it will give you access to even MORE wholesalers.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO GET A SELLERâ€™S PERMIT (SALES TAX ID)?
Exactly what you need to get a sales tax ID varies by State. You may need:
* To be a business entity. This means you are a company or sole proprietor. Being a sole proprietor means you are working for yourself under your own name. If you are working for yourself (which is how most people get started selling online, just fill in your own name under your business trading name). Being a company means that you have registered a company under a trading name.
Find out more here: Link hidden: Login to view
* To have a Federal Tax ID number. Find out more here: Link hidden: Login to view
WHERE DO I GET MY SELLERSâ€™ PERMIT (SALES TAX ID)?
You can try Googling it â€“ Most states have an online form on their website these days. Most states also charge a small fee. This varies from state to state, but it's usually around $50.
If you canâ€™t find any information online on how to get a seller permit, then just contact or visit your local County Clerk Office.
Hope this helps!