Starting out with drop shipping first

kevinco
After reading everything I can get my hands on about selling products online I have decided that I am going to start off by selling items on ebay through auctions using drop shipping. The only thing that I am still getting mixed responsed and research about is what license(s) I will need to do this. I live in California I mention that because I know it differs depending on the state. I am not at this time planning on setting up a website or buying bulk goods. To start off I am only going to do auctions with drop shippers until I get my feet wet. Any help with what I need to obtain first is greatly appreciated.

tab10us
you need nothing to sell on ebay unless you're selling a HUGE amount of items.

ritchy
^^Absolutely correct^^ Hope all goes well!!!!

kevinco
thank you so much for your feedback, I did however find out that some of the suppliers require a Tax ID which I found out I can get for free and apply for over the internet

tab10us
yeah very rarely though will a supplier request a tax ID

shark
hi guys, was just reading your post because I'm in the same boat, Live in Ontario, Canada and jut wanted to start off by auctioning items on ebay using a dropship source. But I found myself nose first into a brick wall when the supplier wanted a Tax id to register and a company name. Do you need to have a whole company set up first?
and what is a tax id and where was it that you could get one for free? thanks alot for the help

jwilar
I am a newbie. I live in new york, do anyone know where the official address to apply online?

thanks.

uofaguy0507
The following link from the irs.gov website has all the info you need to obtain your EIN (Employer Identification Number). I set mine under Sole member(Sole Proprietorship) and recieved my EIN within 48 hours thru email, and then they mail you a hard copy about a week later. Remember though, this number, which for simplicity sakes, acts as a SSN for a business for tax reporting purpouses.

Do not confuse this with a Resellers License. This is used my ACTUAL wholesalers for sales tax reporting. Also I would register your business with your respective state to get a Business License and a Resellers License in case you stumble across an actual wholesaler. These Licenses are obtainable for small fees (Usually 20-50 Depending on your state) There are companies that will do the work for you for about 110-150 bucks including making your company an LLC. However I have found doing the work myself more rewarding, and as a side note, I have found Barnes & Noble a great place to find all legal paperwork for about 10-20 which to me is worth it.

I am sure, however, that if you dug enough on the irs website you could find some stuff for free.

Hope this helps!

Here is the link:
Link hidden: Login to view

sewingqueen1000
Hi There, I am a complete Newby as well! I have sold privately on ebay but nothing else. I am in UK and want to sell items that would be dropshipped - any advice would be welcome! I already have a US TIN but not sure what else I need as although I am in UK I see USA as mu main market.
Has anyone got experience of shipping stuff from China?

Free Member
jimmy_huber
Well one good thing is that most legitimate suppliers ask for tax ID. Very rarely are you gonna find a scammer site that will deter prospects with tax id requirements :D

Link hidden: Login to view by SaleHoo

Wait! Want Some FREE Supplier Details?

Discover four of the most profitable niches on eBay and get details for the best suppliers for these niches. Enter your details below and we will send them instantly.

Thanks! Please check your email inbox.

Your list of profitable markets and supplier details are on their way to your email inbox.
Be sure to add support@salehoo.com to your safelist to ensure we can deliver the free suppliers details to you.

If you haven't received an email from us in 5 minutes, please check your spam folder or email us at support@salehoo.com.