Do I need a tax ID when selling on Amazon?

20 Dec 13 05:38:11 am
I read in an article that if I sell on Amazon, that Amazon actually deducts taxes from my product listing and that my social security number counts as a tax id for Amazon...or something like that.

I have been selling all this time without a tax id or anything but everything I keep reading on salehoo states either some business licence or DBA or tax id number.

Really and truly for now I want to drop sell. What should I do. Am I in trouble on amazon and don't know it. Or is what that article I read true

Site Admin
20 Dec 13 11:52:40 pm
The easiest way to break it down for you is to say as a business, and even as a drop shipper you are running a business, you have legal obligations to keep records and submit a tax declaration. Now it's no secret that not everyone does, it comes down to your own choice, b legally, submitting a tax declaration is a requirement for any business.

Mark (fudjj)

Community Manager

Link hidden: Login to view
22 Dec 13 11:46:21 pm
Amazon does not deduct taxes - they have a withholding policy for sellers who have not submitted a TIN or SSN in the Kindle marketplace (see Link hidden: Login to view.) Unless they've had a very recent policy change, Amazon does not withhold for product sellers, only publishers.

"Failure is not when you fall down. Failure is when you don't get back up."

--J.J. Luna

Wait! Want Some FREE Supplier Details?

Discover four of the most profitable niches on eBay and get details for the best suppliers for these niches. Enter your details below and we will send them instantly.

Thanks! Please check your email inbox.

Your list of profitable markets and supplier details are on their way to your email inbox.
Be sure to add to your safelist to ensure we can deliver the free suppliers details to you.

If you haven't received an email from us in 5 minutes, please check your spam folder or email us at