1. Design your twitter page- Take the time to fill out you bio and website on Twitter, and upload a decent headshot or icon so people can see that you are a real person, and decide to follow you. Also consider making a custom background to better convey info about yourself.
2. Wefollow- Wefollow.com is a directory of twitter users list yourself under the appropriate categories so like minded people can find you.
3. Hash Tags- Use has tags which look like this: #yourkeyword to describe what your tweet is about people track these and will follow you.
4. Comment, ReTweet, Reply- Engage people in conversation using questions, comments, and retweets if you are interesting real people will follow.
5. Advertise your Twitter- Put your twitter profile on all of your social media profiles, websites, and also in your signatures on forums, and emails to gain more followers.
6. Hoot Suite- Hootsuite is an online application that is like a head up display for your twitter accounts. The best feature as far as followers go is prescheduling tweets if you have a regular stream of tweets followers will increase, and your current followers can be more engaged.
7. Mr. Tweet- Mr. Tweet lets you follow or recommend users based on your interests and niche you can follow up to 50 a day.
8. Twitter Match- Twittermatch.com follow users based on your chosen keywords and often they will follow you back
9. Buzzom- Buzzom.com lets you grow your followers based on your interests and flush those who arenâ€™t following you back. After you have used these other steps to follow hundreds or thousands of people give them about 3-5 days to see if they will follow back and flush the non followers.
10. The Twit Cleaner- After using these other steps to dramatically grow your following use TheTwitCleaner.com to show you who is just a spammer, inactive or otherwise uninterested in what you have to say. The best part is it will unfollow them in mass for free.