Home /

Sales or Use tax - which one do I need for eBay?

Full Member
Posts: 1
Joined: 18 Sep 14
22 Sep 14 10:50:47 pm

I am planning to begin an eBay dropship business within Minnesota and am very new to this field. I've read the blog containing the steps that are required and I understand that I need to register for a tax id. During that process I was stuck on either choosing "Sales and Use" or "Use Only." Which of these choices should I register my eBay business down?


Site Admin
Posts: 442
Joined: 10 Jun 14
24 Sep 14 04:32:25 am
Hello Cindy,

As per description:

A sales tax is a tax paid to a governing body for the sales of certain goods and services.

The use tax applies when a resident of the assessing state purchases an item that is not subject to his home state's sales tax. Usually, this is due to out-of-state purchases, as well as ordering items through the mail, by phone, or over the Internet from other states. The use tax is typically assessed at the same rate as the sales tax that would have been owed (if any) had the same goods been purchased in the state of residence.

So since you are going to sell your goods or items "out of state," you should be able to select Sales and Use.

Hope this helps.

Wait! Want Some FREE Supplier Details?

Discover four of the most profitable niches on eBay and get details for the best suppliers for these niches. Enter your details below and we will send them instantly.

Thanks! Please check your email inbox.

Your list of profitable markets and supplier details are on their way to your email inbox.
Be sure to add support@salehoo.com to your safelist to ensure we can deliver the free suppliers details to you.

If you haven't received an email from us in 5 minutes, please check your spam folder or email us at support@salehoo.com.