Home /

Do I need an EIN from the IRS?

Free Member
Posts: 5
Joined: 06 Dec 07
2 Jun 08 01:54:28 am
I have a full-time job and plan to sell DVDs online on the side. Do I need to apply for an EIN with the IRS before I begin to sell my items on Yahoo! Merchant? Also, would I need to report the money I make from selling my items as additional income, and would I be then considered as self-employed? Please help.

Full Member
Posts: 331
Joined: 15 Jun 06
2 Jun 08 07:07:22 am
Hi there,

No you don't need an EIN until you hire employees or register your business.

Link hidden: Login to view

However, you do need to report the money you make from selling DVDs & whatever else you made decide to sell. Although you may only be selling for a few hours a week, you are still considered to be Self Employed by the IRS.

Link hidden: Login to view

Being self-employed means that you not only have to pay income tax on any earnings, you also have to pay self-employment tax of 15.3%.

Link hidden: Login to view

You can read more here: Link hidden: Login to view


Wait! Want Some FREE Supplier Details?

Discover four of the most profitable niches on eBay and get details for the best suppliers for these niches. Enter your details below and we will send them instantly.

Thanks! Please check your email inbox.

Your list of profitable markets and supplier details are on their way to your email inbox.
Be sure to add support@salehoo.com to your safelist to ensure we can deliver the free suppliers details to you.

If you haven't received an email from us in 5 minutes, please check your spam folder or email us at support@salehoo.com.