How Feedback and Reviews Affect New Sellers

mya352
I have yet to start selling on ebay and Amazon, but i have purchased numerous things via these marketplaces.

If one was to start a brand new store or start selling for the first time on either of these marketplaces, how does not having any seller feedback affect sales?

I noticed alot of the sellers on ebay have thousands of feedback to give them credibility and give buyers a sense of security knowing it is an experienced and well reviewed seller. Same for Amazon stores that have numerous reviews.

How does a brand new seller/store compete with having no feeback to those who already have alot of feedback? Would'nt the new store look like an untrustworthy amature? or are new stores easily welcomed by online buyers even without feedback ratings?

Also, with the recent news of Amazon cracking down of fake reviews, what are the opinions on this? I have been aware that most reviews and ratings online can be bought. Such as Yelp reviews and Amazon reviews. These can be purchased to look like a store has credibility. Has anyone done this? What is the standpoint of sellers on this topic?

I look forward to hearing from experienced sellers or people who have dealt with such. :)

-M

Site Admin
fudjj
I think you have to main consumer groups, those that value credibility over price and those that are price buyers specifically, where credibility of a seller plays a much lessor role to the value of the product.

So how do you counter both?

My advice is to produce a professional image. Of course the more feedback you have the more credibility you will have among that core group of consumers, but if you don't have the feedback, then you should at least present the best possible image. Within that image, you take the opportunity to then introduce yourself (your business self) as a new company, venture or whatever and you use that as a plus, not a negative.

So welcome to (such), we're (about us) and as a special offer to our new customers (insert special offer here)

So you've introduced your business, you've told customers all about your business, your products and your service and now the final hit is the special offer. The intro side caters to the credibility factor, the special offer caters to the price factor, so make the special offer good.

Even if you list 6 products at cost, that is what they cost you all up, all costs taken into consideration. Yes, you're not making money, but you're building a customer base and that builds long term credibility.

A really important thing to remember about any business is that it's a marathon, not a sprint. You can't be successful in business over the first 4 weeks, doesn't matter how many sales you get. If you're not there for the 5th week and on, then it wasn't a success. So it doesn't matter how slowly you have to crawl to get started, getting started is the most important part and then you have something to start building on.

Regarding reviews, I don't personally put much credibility into any reviews unless through something like the BBB. If I was going to sell a product I had never personally seen, I would buy one for myself to test it before ever trying to sell it to someone else, unless it was a well respected brand in the market place.

Mark (fudjj)

Community Manager
SaleHoo.com

Link hidden: Login to view
mya352
Thanks Mark. The points you mentioned make sense. I'm aware that customer service and professionalism makes all the difference when it comes to competition. I can see how in ebay one can spiff up one's new profile and product page to reflect trustworthy transactions. Do you have any tips on how to do this with Amazon when one has just launched?

Also, great tip on listing some products at cost initially to jump start credibility. Do sellers do this for all or just some of their products in the first few weeks of launching? Do buyers notice/react to the increase once the prices change to eventually add profits?

-M

Site Admin
fudjj
I don't have any experience with Amazon, but their layout doesn't lend itself to the same marketing techniques as eBay does from what I do know about Amazon, so I can't be much help there.

Regarding how many products, that's really your call. It is a great way to build business. It's also a great way to draw ebay traffic to your own independent store if you even develop one, especially if you are selling items that come in different sizes and colours.

Say dresses for example, if you have a dress available in several different colours/sizes, then you simply list one at cost on ebay and promote it as an on sale special, then include all the other size and colour options in the listing, with a simple (contact us for more details) tag line. What this does is then forces the consumer to contact you for details if they want another colour, size or whatever.

At which point you are permitted to then email the consumer with your URL for them to view the options on your own site and you've now got them as a customer in your own shop where you have margin on your products. Should a customer ask why they are more expensive than the one on eBay, you can then point to the one on ebay as being a special on sale offer.

So this marketing technique doesn't just work to build credibility on ebay, it works to develop your own store while using ebay as a marketing tool, not a sales tool.

Mark (fudjj)

Community Manager
SaleHoo.com

Link hidden: Login to view
Directory Approved Supplier
_assagers
Good luck with starting selling on both venues. I have sold on both Ebay and Amazon and they are totally different cultures with the good and bad that goes with that. If you're drop shipping, my advice is to start on Ebay and develop your process. Pick products to try and it they sell, keep listing them. If they don't take it down and try something else. Develop a formula that works for you - price is x and minimum profit is x and it sells is x volume. I found that focusing on a few products that sell in volume got me to my goals quicker than listing tons of items that sold 1 per month. 6 per day would get my attention!

Wait! Want Some FREE Supplier Details?

Discover four of the most profitable niches on eBay and get details for the best suppliers for these niches. Enter your details below and we will send them instantly.

Thanks! Please check your email inbox.

Your list of profitable markets and supplier details are on their way to your email inbox.
Be sure to add support@salehoo.com to your safelist to ensure we can deliver the free suppliers details to you.

If you haven't received an email from us in 5 minutes, please check your spam folder or email us at support@salehoo.com.