Need some help

partainsr
Can someone please give me some advice on this please.

A woman from Sweden bought a belt from me. I don't not have my items listed to sell internationally but she contacted me ahead of time and asked if she could buy it so I told her no problem and gave her a shipping price. She bought it but did not pay until after I filed an unpaid item dispute (8 or 9 days later). Then she sends me this email:

'Hello,

I have payed you now.
When you send it to me, please write on the 'green slip' that it is a gift in the customs declaration, since this is a
gift for my daughter birthday and it´s
value is 5 US-dollar. '

note: the selling price on the belt was $5.99

Does this email sound strange? I'm not sure. I have never shipped anything internationally so I'm not sure what to make of it. I don't know if this might be some kind of scam or what.

Thanks!

gulfy13
Alot of countries don't charge 'duty' taxes on items that are marked gift. She is probably afraid that if it's not marked gift that she will have to pay a tax on the item..

Alot of people mark their packages as gifts to get around having to pay the taxes on it...It's not unusual at all. I myself never mark it as a gift.

If you have ever done much business with importing goods from china, you will notice that they mark almost everything as a gift. I don't know how they get away with it since they do it so often, but it seems to work as I have never paid any duty on the many items I have imported from china and some of the packages were fairly large..

Most countries normally have a set value that you can import 'duty free'. It's usually a couple of hundred dollars. Anything over that amount and you are suppose to pay tax on the estimated value of the item or package contents. But normally it's not a very large tax. Certainly not worth trying to falsely declare and get into trouble over...I would just mark the item at it's true value. I doubt since it's only 5.99, that it will be taxable...

partainsr
Thank you very much gulfy. I will take your advice.

Wait! Want Some FREE Supplier Details?

Discover four of the most profitable niches on eBay and get details for the best suppliers for these niches. Enter your details below and we will send them instantly.

Thanks! Please check your email inbox.

Your list of profitable markets and supplier details are on their way to your email inbox.
Be sure to add support@salehoo.com to your safelist to ensure we can deliver the free suppliers details to you.

If you haven't received an email from us in 5 minutes, please check your spam folder or email us at support@salehoo.com.