tax in australia

reutsharon
ok i know i am gonna sound stupit to all of u, please don't laugh at me :(
i am trying to start somthing here, i am selling on ebay, droppshiping from china, i have no idea what is going on with the tax, do i need to open ABN nomber? is it like a bussnis?
i just moove here to au, and i am alittle bit confused about the rules and everything...i know there is a subject about this issue here in this forum, but i can't find it, please if someone can tell me how do i find out about the tax for ebay?
i mean if i sell somthing do i need to pay the tax? i know there is everytime i am selling somthing - it's show 'get paid send invoice', i never send it, and i never received from any buyer on ebay....
anway i really need hellp, i hope i am doing the right thing. if not - what is the right thing to do?
thanks!!!!
reut

Free Member
elecxtronex
Lol you are not required to pay any tax at all. You only pay tax when you file a tax return. If you don't file a tax return, then their will be no tax at all.

reutsharon
but is it a legal,not to file a tax returne? i mean i am doing a profit so i need to pay tax-am i?

Free Member
tgibbings
yes, highly illegal if you are running a business and don't declare income. I believe the ATO is planning a crackdown in ebay business as they have identified it as an area of great loss of tax. If you do it as a hobby then there is no tax payable. Best speak to an accountant to work it whether it is classed as a hobby or business

Free Member
grey-nomad
If you sell more than $75000 pa, then you need to declare it as a business and need a ABN.
Check out:
A New Tax System (Goods and Service Tax) Act 1999-section 13-20.

It's better to keep it legal, rather then trying to cheat.
You save yourself a lot of money in the long run, really.

Frank of Oz

Wait! Want Some FREE Supplier Details?

Discover four of the most profitable niches on eBay and get details for the best suppliers for these niches. Enter your details below and we will send them instantly.

Thanks! Please check your email inbox.

Your list of profitable markets and supplier details are on their way to your email inbox.
Be sure to add support@salehoo.com to your safelist to ensure we can deliver the free suppliers details to you.

If you haven't received an email from us in 5 minutes, please check your spam folder or email us at support@salehoo.com.