Thinking of selling on Ebay? Read this first!

dps103
Before you read my post, allow me to give you a little of my background. Hopefully, it will help you to decide whether my opinion is worthy.

At age 22, I opened my own retail clothing store for women. I provided quality customer service which allowed me to have a thriving business with 1,000's of repeat customers for 22 years. With that said, let me tell you how I rate as an Ebay seller.

I decided earlier this year to work from home and Ebay was my choice. Salehoo taught me everything I needed to know and I started my business.

In just a couple months I had to call Ebay a couple of times to tell them I wasn't receiving my messages from buyers. The Ebay tech told me he could see the problem and that he would "refresh" my account. Meanwhile, a buyer had sent a question about her shipping cost. I didn't get the message. The buyer left me neutral feedback and very low detailed seller ratings. This affected my account status horribly. I sent the buyer (ginasamarotto) a message telling her what happened with the missing messages & asked her to reconsider. She refused. She posted that "communication with this seller is difficult". I called Ebay for assistance, since they clearly knew I didn't get this buyers messages. They said that feedback is the "expressed opinion" of the buyer and they apologized for the glitch, but couldn't help me. Ebay told me to add this women to my "blocked buyer list" so she could not purchase from me again. Then the Ebay rep told me to work harder to bring my ratings back up so that I could get a discount on my seller fees. Thanks, Ebay.

A few months later, a novice buyer with only 4 Ebay purchases bought a sweater from me and didn't like the way the top fit. The measurements of the sweater were in the listing. This buyer (660126892) left me low ratings & negative feedback. The buyer's comment read, "the sweater is much larger than shown. I look like a gangster". I immediately emailed the buyer telling them they should have contacted me because I would gladly take the sweater back. The buyer refused to retract their feedback. Again, I called Ebay for help or assistance. Same answer. Can't help.

Can Ebay see this buyer never contacted me? Yes. Can Ebay see that I put the measurements of the sweater in the ad? Yes. Does Ebay know I ship items within 24 hours? Yes. Does Ebay know I do not profit on shipping charges? Yes. Do they know I answer all buyer questions within 24 hours? Yes. Does Ebay know I email all customers the minute their item is shipped? Yes. Can Ebay see the level of professionalism and customer service I provide? Yes. Ebay can see everything SELLERS do. Do they care? NO, not unless you are a BUYER.

So, if you have any thoughts about starting an Ebay business, do not expect Ebay to support you, the seller, in the event an inexperienced buyer or someone with buyers remorse, files negative feedback & scores you low ratings with no justification. Ebay leaves the seller with no recourse to maintain the status for which they worked so hard to obtain. Without this status your listings are put lower in search results leaving you at a major disadvantage.

How is it that a company the size of Ebay with their marketing sophistication and business savvy, fails to find a way to support the very people that lure in their perspective buyers? There needs to be a system in place to protect the hard working sellers from buyers that have no basis to the claims they put forth. Until such a system is put in place, you as a seller, are at the mercy of any individual who may just not like what they purchased.

Today Ebay took away my "Top Rated" seller status because of the feedback and ratings of inexperienced buyer 660126892. So, if you're thinking about an online retail business, I would closely consider the other selling sites before you commit your time, money and energy to Ebay. This too, could very well happen to you.

Site Admin
richelle_salehoo
Hi dps103,

Sorry to hear about your experience with eBay, but honestly I am not surprised I have read similar stories online about how eBay is biased to their buyers.

Take this as a new beginning to explore other online sites where you can sell just as well and with less hassle. Sites like Addoway and Bonanza. We have a list of other auction sites where you can selling -

Link hidden: Login to view

Here's to a new year and a new beginning! All the best :)

Richelle

Customer Support Manager
SaleHoo Group Limited
Sell more with your own professionally designed and search optimized e-commerce website. Check out Link hidden: Login to view now!
planes
This is commonplace on eBay. Make sure to put a feedback response to the negs and continue on. Most buyers won't hold it against you. Simply continue giving great service.

Two points to help you along.

Create another seller account and merge it with your current Paypal account. Build it up as you did the first. Now when you have an acount that gets dinged a little, let it sit awhile and work the other. after so many months the DSR and feedback will affect that account less. Go back and forth letting one cool after getting dinged.

Start an Amazon account too.

One final thought. Yu can call eBay again and you may get a more sympathetic rep who will correct the situation. Possibly.

dps103
Thank you both for your great ideas & support.

Amazon looks appealing, except for the part where I need a storefront. May be a bit costly. I will research on Salehoo. Thanks again.

Site Admin
richelle_salehoo
Glad to be of help dps103. All the best!

Happy New Year:)

Richelle

Customer Support Manager
SaleHoo Group Limited
Sell more with your own professionally designed and search optimized e-commerce website. Check out Link hidden: Login to view now!
Free Member
jackpete
Ebay and Paypal both decided to restrict my account just because I was trading too much.. Could not appeal the decision even when my store had 99.7% rating.

The company has NO SUPPORT whatsoever and you are wasting your time calling them.

Good luck with other sites.

dps103
JackPete,

Thank you for your post. Maybe if enough Sellers share their stories, Ebay will take notice.

Free Member
userexists
JackPete,

Thank you for your post. Maybe if enough Sellers share their stories, Ebay will take notice.

I think I see pigs lining up on the runway. eBay will never interfere or intercede in feedback disputes.

Difficult I can do right away. Impossible takes a little longer
dps103
In my opinion, by lowering our DSR's & taking away our status without fair arbitration, Ebay is interfering & interceding with the disputes.

If you are in agreement, please post your story & line up behind me. Maybe together we will get Ebay's attention.

Wait! Want Some FREE Supplier Details?

Discover four of the most profitable niches on eBay and get details for the best suppliers for these niches. Enter your details below and we will send them instantly.

Thanks! Please check your email inbox.

Your list of profitable markets and supplier details are on their way to your email inbox.
Be sure to add support@salehoo.com to your safelist to ensure we can deliver the free suppliers details to you.

If you haven't received an email from us in 5 minutes, please check your spam folder or email us at support@salehoo.com.