What to sell on eBay - advice needed

Free Member
carter90cmc
Hi there,

Im new here and i don't know what to sell on ebay my interests are video games and would like to buy and sell what i know which is video games.

However i dont know which suppliers have good prices so i can make a profit on ebay buying and selling.

Hopefully somebody can help me here
Chris

Site Admin
fudjj
Hi Chris, and welcome to SaleHoo firstly.

Most markets on eBay are competitive, but I can tell you first hand that Video Games is one of the most competitive of all. What supply source are you looking at, Wholesale, Liquidation, Second Hand or Drop Shipping?

We have a new supplier from Singapore that has just recently joined our directory, GH Games, so they may well be able to assist you, but If we know your supply source preference upfront, then we'll be in a better place to give advice : )

Cheers

Mark (fudjj)

Community Manager
SaleHoo.com

Link hidden: Login to view
Free Member
carter90cmc
Well at this time wholesale is just beyond me, im looking at making small purchases first to make a bit of profit and try and build and get bigger.

so what option would be best for me to do that.

also im open to selling anything as long as there is a profit to be made

Thanks
Chris

Site Admin
fudjj
Hi Chris, if cash flow is low then the best option would be Drop Shipping. That being said, while Drop Shipping is the most cost effective way of getting into the market, it's not always the easiest.

The major draw backs with using Drop Shipping on eBay are, the vast majority of new sellers usually have the same problem as yourself, no start-up budget, so that means that Drop Shipping is extremely popular and you'll be competing against a lot of other Drop Shippers.

Now, Drop Shipping as a general rule doesn't return a large profit margin, and if we could even find you a Drop Shipper for a genre like Video Games, I would imagine the margin would be very low.

The support team will no doubt take a look for some suppliers for you in regards to Video Games, however I think it would be wise that you do start looking at a whole range of other products to increase you chances of getting a foot hold in the market.

What's the best thing to sell, well that comes down to research, and usually lots of it. The easiest place to usually start is from seeing what you can sell from around the house. That can quite often build you a basic budget that you can then invest into more stock.

Selling things from around the home can also unearth a good seller, if you find that you get a lot of interest on a product and that interest converts into a good sale price, then you should start looking at that style of product as a possibly product to buy for further sales.

: )

Mark (fudjj)

Community Manager
SaleHoo.com

t0psales
heres one for you fudge, thinking, one site I found sugested 730 mcdonalds store around australia, what about selling bigmacs on ebay, add a 2-3 bucks on top, ship them in express bags, detail to customer about that you will not be responsible for state of burger when it gets there.

go down and purchase burger, pack on way to PO, send in express bag with hopefully overnight delivery..

mayhave to try it mate

would be funny or what, have to try it.

Hey, main wholesaler gave mne $368 bonus this month

t0psales
Sorry Carter90cmc

I hijacked your thread, hey, don't overlook anything.

Ask your local hardware / electronics retailer / dick smith / supermarket..

dont deal with chinavasion unless you want headaches.

Free Member
carter90cmc
Ive sold a few things on ebay that have raised some cash for me but i am worried that if i buy something wholesale and try and sell them seperate that they wont sell and im left with nothing

Site Admin
fudjj
[quote:0e9e9d59]heres one for you fudge, thinking, one site I found sugested 730 mcdonalds store around australia, what about selling bigmacs on ebay, add a 2-3 bucks on top, ship them in express bags, detail to customer about that you will not be responsible for state of burger when it gets there.

go down and purchase burger, pack on way to PO, send in express bag with hopefully overnight delivery..

mayhave to try it mate

would be funny or what, have to try it.

Now that is a sweet bonus, hope they have things running a lot smoother for you now.

Love the Big Mac idea mate, sensational lol. That food idea is really festering in there isn't it lol. I'm thinking KFC might be the better option, I know that Big Macs last for 376 years, but you could drop some dry ice in the bag with the KFC to keep it cool and kind of fresh lol

I can see it now. Ever seen a Chicken fly?, buy some from us and that bird could be flying to you today. OK, not one of my best slogans lol. If anything was ever going to go missing in the post, that would be it for sure. I know I would be tempted to pop that open just from the smell of it if I were a postie lol

I was once trying to start a fast food delivery, and have chains like KFC, Micky dees, HJ and all the rest on the menu. The customer could select meals from as many places as they wanted, the more places they ordered from, the more they paid in service fees.

I ran it past a few of these chains, and did I hit a brick wall lol, so eBay could well be the way forward lol.

; )

Mark (fudjj)

Community Manager
SaleHoo.com

t0psales
Ive sold a few things on ebay that have raised some cash for me but i am worried that if i buy something wholesale and try and sell them seperate that they wont sell and im left with nothing

you don't get it??

Don't buy until you sell..

Find your favorite wholesaler, make sure they dropship, list their item, then when you sell it, order it off you wholesaler to be shipped to your customers address.

hey, your local supermarket has great things..

My local Coles sell a cupcake stand for about 20 bucks, geez if I could get a picture of it I reckon I could put $25-$30 on it and get it.

t0psales
I was once trying to start a fast food delivery, and have chains like KFC, Micky dees, HJ and all the rest on the menu. The customer could select meals from as many places as they wanted, the more places they ordered from, the more they paid in service fees.

I ran it past a few of these chains, and did I hit a brick wall lol, so eBay could well be the way forward lol.

There is a mob that do it on the Gold Coast in QLD, they are called Cafe On wheels, mate, most shocking and expensive meal I have ever had, but being a tourist at the time I never knew better.

Why would you have to ask the chains, just do it, they would just think you were hungry.

Site Admin
fudjj
lol, that's what I was afraid of, you back again already?

Actually, I needed to be able to have the orders phoned through so the drivers could pick-up and run straight away, but they wouldn't play at the time.

I had about 33 individual stores on my list, but couldn't get one of the big names, and thought I needed some of those to tie it all in.

Strangely enough, I had a bottle shop chain on board for the grog, and I thought that would be the hardest part of the equation lol, circumventing Queensland's liquor licencing laws.

O' well, wasn't the first plan to get flushed, I'm sure it won't be the last lol

Mark (fudjj)

Community Manager
SaleHoo.com

t0psales
how do I find dry ice?

Site Admin
fudjj
Any regular ice works should supply it, but I suggest you take a look at a product called techni ice. Ebay is the place avenue to purchase it, but visit their site www.techniice.com.au, I think lol, for specs on the product.

More than happy to personally recommend that. I owned a food brokerage about a year ago, and all our deliveries went out with Techni Ice sheets. We has situations where the box sat out in a sunny position for most of the day simply because there was no shade to leave it, and the customers reported back that the products were still well and truly frozen when they got home at the end of the day.

eBay price, you'll have to buy about ten sheets at a time, but you'll pay around 3 bucks a sheet on an average auction.

Mark (fudjj)

Community Manager
SaleHoo.com

erika-garnica
Hi Carter,

If it makes you feel any better, EVERY eBay seller has gone through the same thing you're going through. We've all been there.

My suggestion is to spend some time researching products you're interested in selling before you commit to listing anything. You don't want to waste time going through trial and error over and over again.

My favorite eBay market research tool is Terapeak - www.terapeak.com - but Hammertap is also good and has a 10-day free trial (www.hammertap.com).

Using an eBay market research tool can tell you exactly how well any particular product has been selling on eBay in the past 30-90 days, as well as what the average selling price of the product has been, its success rate, etc. It will even tell you exactly how to list the item to help you have the greatest probability of selling the item successfully, such as which day of the week and time of the day would be best to list your item, which keywords to use in your title, which format has been the most successful for that product on eBay lately, etc.

I echo what fudjj said regarding Video Games. Like most media items, video games usually have an extremely thin profit margin anyway, and if you're doing to dropship them, that will decrease your profits even more.

I agree that you should be open to selling many different types of products. You don't have to be an expert on a product in order to sell it successfully on eBay. You don't even have to like the product yourself to be successful at selling it.

Have an open mind, and besides media items (video games, books, CDs, DVDs, etc.), stay away from computers, electronics, cell phones, cameras, and other technology-related items, which are all massively competitive already.

I hope that helps!

Erika G.
Theauctionguru

Erika Garnica
eBay User ID - Theauctionguru

Wait! Want Some FREE Supplier Details?

Discover four of the most profitable niches on eBay and get details for the best suppliers for these niches. Enter your details below and we will send them instantly.

Thanks! Please check your email inbox.

Your list of profitable markets and supplier details are on their way to your email inbox.
Be sure to add support@salehoo.com to your safelist to ensure we can deliver the free suppliers details to you.

If you haven't received an email from us in 5 minutes, please check your spam folder or email us at support@salehoo.com.