How to Get a US Reseller Permit/Resale Certificate (Sales Tax ID)

14 min. read
All information of this content was reviewed by our team to ensure it was accurate and up-to-date at the time it was last updated. Learn more about our verification

Hey, would you like to pay tax that you don't actually need to pay?

I'm guessing your answer is a big, fat "Nope." No one does, which is why if you're going to get into the retail business, you need a reseller's permit (also called a resale license, reseller's license, resale certificate or reseller's certificate, sales tax permit or sales tax ID).

If you're a US-based seller, you don't need to pay sales tax out of your own pocket for the products you're reselling to others. Your customers will pay it when they buy the product. You'll collect the money and send it to the state on a routine schedule.

A reseller's license is your flag saying "I sell to others. I can buy wholesale products without paying sales tax because I pass the tax onto my customers." 

What is a Reseller's Permit/License?

A reseller's permit or license is the documentation you need to avoid paying tax on items that you’re going to resell to customers. The sales tax for an item only needs to be paid once, and it’s paid by the end customer, not you as the seller. A reseller's permit lets your suppliers know that you are licensed to sell the items on, and that they can sell them to you without collecting the sales tax from you. Many suppliers will require a reseller’s license before they will do business with you.

Note that your reseller’s license will only allow you to avoid paying tax on items you successfully resell. If you are buying items for your business that you won’t be reselling, or you don’t end up reselling the items you’ve bought, you will be responsible for the tax on those items. 

How Do I Get a Sales Tax ID/Reseller's License?

Half the trouble with signing up for a sales tax license is finding where to go!

To get started, you need to find your state tax department. For example, someone based in New York would go to the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance (either online, by phone or in person) and fill in the appropriate form.

You'll find that when you've made your way to the right website, most of the information and forms you need are just waiting for you. 

That's why I've got this nifty map to help you find your way faster:

Click on your state to find the right sales tax information for you, and register for your license.




Sales Tax Applies
No Sales Tax



Once you get your sales tax ID, the state will start sending you monthly/quarterly statements. In some cases, states will use your federal EIN as your sales tax ID. In some cases, they'll issue you a separate number. 

How to apply for a Reseller’s Permit in 3 easy steps

Applying for a Reseller’s Permit is actually really easy once you have the required information and documents ready, especially with the handy map we’ve created for you (see above). All you need to do is click on your state and you’ll be taken to a page where you can apply for a permit online.

However, I know from experience that filling out government forms can be daunting, especially when you’re just starting out. So let’s go through the process step-by-step.

The first step is figuring out which states you need a Reseller’s Permit for. If you are running a business from home and don’t have any storage facilities or offices in other states, then you only need a Reseller’s Permit for your home state. If you have an office in one state and storage facilities in several other states, you will need to apply for a Reseller’s Permit in each of those states, because you have “nexus” in those locations. Use our map to get the relevant information for each state.

See more about what ‘nexus’ means below.

There’s quite a bit of information you need to provide, so it’s best to get it all ready before you start the process. You’ll need to provide personal identification (social security number, date of birth, driver’s license, or state-issued identification number). You’ll also need to provide documents about your business, such as your bank account information, names and locations of your suppliers, and your anticipated monthly sales figures.

Depending on the state you’re applying in, you may be asked about the structure of your business and its ownership (sole proprietor, general partnership, LLC, nonprofit).

If your business is a corporation or an LLC, you may be asked to provide the incorporation date, corporation number and FEIN number.

And if you’re applying from outside the US (say you live in Germany, but you have a storage facility in California, you

Some states require personal references and other information. You can enquire with your local county clerk’s office to find out exactly what’s required by them. Or click on your state on the map and the website should say what information they need.

Using all of the information you’ve collected, you can now apply for your Reseller’s Permit. You can complete the application online or in person. Remember, you will need to apply for a Reseller’s Permit in all of the states where you conduct your business. If you have any questions, I recommend contacting your local county clerk’s office, or the relevant local authority as they have the most up-to-date information.

You may have to pay a small fee to file your application.

Sales Tax: A Brief Overview

Sales tax is a tax levied on all sales of physical goods to consumers within most states. Some states also charge sales tax for certain kinds of services.

Not all states charge sales tax: if you live in Delaware, Oregon, New Hampshire, Montana or Alaska, then sales tax either does not apply or applies only in certain circumstances. For sellers in any other state: yes, you do need to worry about sales tax!

You can find your state's sales tax rate here. It is important that you do this, because taxes vary significantly among the different states. For instance, some have one rate that applies state-wide, while in others, the rate varies between counties and cities.

Determining what state(s) you need to pay tax comes down to where you operate. A base of operations is called a "nexus." If you are dropshipping from home, you'll only be responsible for that state's sale tax because you only have one nexus. If you have a storage warehouse in another state, you have a nexus there, too. If you opt to ship goods via Fulfilled by Amazon, you technically have a nexus in whatever state(s) your goods are warehoused in.  

Note: In some states you also need to collect sales tax on shipping and handling.

You can learn more about sales tax here

A Bit of Extra Information for You

There are a few other things to consider when looking into the taxes you'll be responsible for as a seller. 

  • Reseller's Permits and Buying Wholesale 

    If you are a US citizen purchasing wholesale goods from a supplier within the US, then you will probably need a resale certificate or license from the state in which your business is located.

    A resale certificate or license enables you to purchase goods wholesale without paying sales tax. It also allows you to collect sales tax from your customers, the end consumer.

    Without a resale certificate, you will have to pay sales tax on the goods you buy wholesale and then also charge sales tax. In this case you can add the sales tax you paid as a deduction on your return, but it is much less complicated to just present your reseller's license when you buy.

    Most wholesalers will ask to see a sales tax ID or reseller's license before they will sell you the goods. This is because they are legally obliged to check whether you are able to collect sales tax from the end user.

  • Use Tax

    Another thing you may come across is something called "use tax." This tax is in place to discourage people from shopping in states with lower taxes than their own.

    Use tax means that if you purchase goods in another state, you owe tax equal to the amount you would normally have paid in your own state. It will also apply to you if you buy goods intended for resale and then end up keeping them for your own use.

    The good news is, if you are based in one state but ship to customers in another, you're not obligated to collect sales tax or deal with use tax at all. Just as you're responsible for paying the use tax if you get your supplies from out of state, your consumers are responsible for the use tax when they buy from you. Additionaly, the benefits of tax in trust can provide additional insights into how this responsibility is managed in such cross-state transactions.

    Obviously you could potentially get away without paying use tax because it works on an honor basis. However, should you be audited, use tax is something auditors like to hone in on. As a result, many new businesses get caught in the cross-hairs. Therefore it is wise to make sure that you pay it and keep the appropriate records.

  • Collecting Sales Tax on eBay or Your Website

    The process for collecting sales tax will differ depending on where you're selling.

    If you're selling on eBay, for example, you can learn how to collect sales tax on eBay here. The process basically looks like this:

    1. Go to "My eBay."
    2. Click the "Preferences" link from the left-hand navigation bar.
    3. Click "Show" in the "Payments from Buyers" section.
    4. In the "Use Sales Tax Table" section click "Edit."
    5. The "Sales Tax Table" page appears.
    6. Find the state you want to start charging sales tax in and put in the correct sales tax amount in the "Sales Tax Rate" field. You can also opt to charge sales tax on shipping and handling, if it's required.

    If you're selling on your own online store, or if you're planning to in the future, things can get a little tricky if you're not careful!

    The best thing to do in this case is hire an accountant, or use tax software such as Avalara to keep track of the sales tax you need to collect and pay. 

    If you create your own online shop with SaleHoo Stores, setting up your sales tax collection is automated and easy.

  • Records to Keep

    You need to keep your resale certificate(s) on file as part of your business records. You must be able to match your sales records with the certificates for audit purposes.

  • Reporting Sales Tax

    How often you need to complete Sales and Use Tax reports will depend on your monthly sales turnover and the state you are working from.

It's very important you are sure to collect the correct amount of sales tax, as you will be held liable for the difference if you come up short.

Note: Trading Assistants do not need to collect or remit sales tax.

Common Questions on Reseller Licenses Answered!

These are not the same thing. A seller’s permit/resale license is the same as a state tax ID, as both are issued by the state for sales tax purposes. An EIN or federal tax ID number, however, is issued by the federal government, not the state. The EIN is used to hire employees and manage employee taxes, and it is also used to file business taxes, while state ID numbers are used to file sales taxes. Here is the difference between an EIN and a state tax ID according to the IRS (you can register for an EIN there too).

To break things down a little further, a seller’s permit and a resale license aren’t quite the same thing either. A seller’s permit, sometimes called a "sales tax" permit or license, allows you to collect sales tax from your customers, while a resale license allows you to buy items you’re going to resell without paying tax for those items yourself. Some states prefer one term or the other, and many states combine the documents into a single license or state tax ID. You’ll find the requirements for your state when you register with them. To find the registration for your state, click on your state in the map further up in the post. 

Although reseller permit can vary a bit from location to location, most of these licenses will include basic information about the business such as the name and address of the reseller, their license number, business type, location issuing the permit or license, and the basic scope of what the reseller can purchase with their permit. Of course, there may be other information on the permit, which can vary from location to location. 

If you want to buy products to sell, and you don’t want to pay sales tax on those items, you will need a reseller’s permit/license. For example, if you want to buy wholesale products to sell on eBay or your online store, you’ll need a reseller’s permit/license to avoid paying tax on those items. Suppliers will often require you to present one before they’ll do business with you. 

There are some states that don’t have sales tax, including Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon. If you live in these states, or conduct business out of them, you might not need a reseller’s permit or license for these states. How this is managed depends on the state; Oregon, for example, issues a resale certificate for presenting to suppliers, while New Hampshire doesn’t issue licenses at all. You can use the map further up in the post to find the information pages for these states to find out whether you need a license.

Before you start using your resale certificate, you’ll have to double check to make sure that you are registered to collect sales tax with at least on location (whether it’s a state, province, or any other location). The reason for this is that this will serve as proof that you are truly a business and not just an individual trying to resell items. This also proves that you are eligible to buy items tax free. Note that a resale certificate isn’t a specific document. Actually, it could be a letter, note, pre-printed form, or purchase order. But what differentiates a resale license from any other document stating similar information? To qualify as a resale license that can be used for dealing with businesses, each document needs to contain the purchaser’s name and address, the type of business you’re running, the description of the products and goods that you are purchasing for resale, the purchaser’s signature and title with date, and of course, the purchaser’s seller’s permit number.

Your seller's permit number can be found on your seller's permit. Once you apply for and receive your permit, you'll be able to locate your seller's permit number any time you should need it.

An Employer Identification Number (EIN), sometimes called a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN), is like a personal ID number for a business. Businesses use their EIN to pay employees, and to file business tax returns. Some banks require an EIN before they’ll let you set up a bank account for your business. 

If you are a sole proprietor, you may not need to get an EIN, as you may be able to use your Social Security number instead. However, you might consider getting an EIN anyway, as this stops you from having to provide your Social Security number to others, which ultimately protects you from identity theft. You can register for an EIN here

Sales tax is pretty much exactly what it sounds like: a tax applied to the sales of goods and services. The sales tax for an item or service is meant to be paid only once, and it’s meant to be paid by the end customer. When you’re buying items to sell on, you’re not the end customer, which means it’s not up to you to pay the sales tax for that item. That’s where your reseller’s license comes in! The license tells suppliers you’re a seller, and that they don’t need to charge you sales tax.

Generally, if you’re selling goods, you will collect the sales tax for those items from your customers when they buy from you. You’ll then pass that sales tax on to the state government. 

Depending on the country you are based in, we recommend contacting an accountant or lawyer to clarify your sales tax obligations for selling outside of your country, as the required tax charges vary significantly between countries. 

A resale number is the number attached to your reseller’s permit or license. When you get a reseller’s permit or licence from your state government, it will have your resale number. You can then give this number to suppliers to buy goods for resale without paying the sales tax for those items.

A resale certificate is yet another name for a reseller’s license or permit. This means it has the same function: to allow you to buy items for resale without paying the sales tax for those items yourself. 

You’ll present your resale certificate to suppliers to show that you’re certified to buy their stock without paying tax, because you’ll be charging your customers the sales tax for those items.

A wholesale license is yet another name for a reseller’s licence. To get a wholesaler’s license, you’ll apply through the preferred application system of the state you live in or conduct business out of. Most states have an online application system to make it faster and easier for you to apply. 

To register for a wholesaler’s license in your state, use the map further up in this post. Simply click on your state to go through to the registration page or info for your state. If you’re not sure about your specific situation, you can try contacting your state’s tax department to ask.


About the author
Simon Slade
CEO of SaleHoo Group Limited

Simon Slade is CEO and co-founder of SaleHoo, a platform for eCommerce entrepreneurs that offers 8,000+ dropship and wholesale suppliers, 1.6 million high-quality, branded products at low prices, an industry-leading market research tool and 24-hour support.

View profile
Already a member? Login to comment
  • 16th of December
    Iwould like to start a selling venture at flea markets do mI need a resale licence or whole sale Permit what do I really need to do to get started
  • roger 23rd of May
    I would like to start a small business somethings I buy from others Vendor then sell them back to the electronics contract manufacturing company . what's kind of the permit or license do I need ? and where can i get the application and what documentation need to provide. Please advise Thanks
  • Duane 11th of June
    If you're just selling on the internet to anyone and you're not operating a business anywhere in your State, then you do not need a sales tax ID. There are wholesale suppliers that doesn't require a sales tax ID, and you can still buy at wholesale prices.
  • shawn 23rd of June
    I would like to have a resellers license provider online can some one suggest a service..?
  • Aura 16th of September
    I would like to buy wholesale items to be sold in another country (Panama). Do I need a resellers license for that?
  • Donna Moore-sturgill 13th of October
    So, we need the license & tax ID to be safe/covered in most states, especially our own, as well as be legitimized to suppliers?
  • Richelle Monfort 14th of October
    Hi Donna, Having a sales tax ID does make you more credible when it comes to dealing with suppliers. Although not all suppliers will require that you have one but for some reason some suppliers may also feel more at ease when dealing with you. Getting a sales tax ID is quite beneficial especially if you source products from within your state. Hope this helps :)
  • Sanjay 23rd of October
    Hi, I am non-US residents planning to open a export company in US. As I have already mentioned that I wish to buy parts in USA and export to Asian countries. I want to know how can I obtain Resale Certificate to avoid Local sales taxes to my suppliers.
  • Richelle Monfort 24th of October
    Hi Sanjay, In which State are you currently residing? The requirements are pretty similar but may vary per state. You can usually get one from your State’s website – just Google ‘Your State + sales tax’. If you can’t find any information online on how to get a seller permit, then just contact or visit your local County Clerk Office. Hope this helps :)
  • Joely Daloia Evans 9th of November
    My boyfriend and I want a tax id resale license to sell goods at flea markets and on eBay. We also want to incorporate. I found someone on line that said they could make a LLC corporation for $154. I used to have these licenses in New York, but I have closed them out in 2004. They lawyers on line had a bad review and they weren't registered with the BBB.
  • Richelle Monfort 10th of November
    Hi Joely, There are many sites online offering such services but I don't know of one which I can recommend to you. I suggest visiting your local county clerk to ask more about it and please read the tips and check out the links in the guide below: Hope this helps somehow :)
  • CottonMPG 21st of November
    I own an ice cream truck and I already have my fed tax id # and I've applied for my business license and state tax id #. It will be much less complicated for my customers if I post the actual cost instead of adding sales tax after the fact. Can I pay the sales tax up front and price accordingly to get my money back instead of posting a lower price and adding a percentage after purchase?
  • Richelle Monfort 22nd of November
    Hi CottonMPG, Might be good to mention that your prices include the required tax rate. Like when you go to a store and buy a few things, the receipt will often show you the total amount you paid and under it another amount shows how much tax you paid for the item/s. It might be confusing and time consuming having to calculate the sales tax each time a customer buys an ice cream from you. Hope this helps.
  • Tiffany 24th of November
    I want to buy items wholesale and sell them on Etsy. I live in Delaware. Do I need a tax reseller ID as well as a business license?
  • Richelle Monfort 24th of November
    Hi Tiffany, A seller's permit is required for retailers who buy or sell tangible, taxable items. It is required to buy wholesale and sell retail or sell wholesale. Having one will also give you access to even MORE wholesalers. Occasionally you may run into suppliers who want to see a business license before they will sell to you. These suppliers will generally have large minimum orders and wish to determine that you are serious about purchasing their goods. Getting a business license is fairly straight forward. You need to contact your local court house or country clerk's office and they will direct you to the person you need to speak with. Some states will charge a fee for a business license application. Please note that the majority of the suppliers on SaleHoo will NOT require a business license before they sell to you. For more useful tips, please visit this link in our Education section - Hope this helps :)
  • Bob 8th of December
    I'm a bit confused on this having a tax license issue. If you have a garage sale, sell some old childrens clothes on Ebay (or other site), you state that you are 'required" to collect State and Local Sales tax? I've also noted Ebay sellers who collect sales tax, but obviously don't have reseller licenses and simply pocket the tax collected. Also, when I purchase from any major retailer online and either have it delivered, to do site to store, they only charge the State Sales Tax (which is 6.25% in Illinois), and not the local tax fees.
  • Richelle Monfort 9th of December
    Hi Bob, I will try my best to help you with your concerns. Below are instances when you would need a sales tax ID - * If you live in the USA or Canada. Most states have a sales tax, but there are a couple that don’t. If you reside in one of these states just let the wholesaler know and they may have a different form or requirement for you to complete. * If you sell online to make money (i.e. You sell more seriously than just getting rid of a few old things from around the house every now and then). You need a seller’s permit so you can charge and collect taxes, which you’ll pay to your state government later. * If you want to purchase goods wholesale from a US supplier (and you are also based in the US), you need a seller’s permit to buy wholesale sales tax free. So to answer your first question - if you are just selling to dispose of your old clothes and other household items then you would not really need to get one. As for sellers who decide to pocket the tax they collect then it would be their problem once the time to file income tax comes. It's sad that some people are actually doing this. The type of taxes being collected by the retailer or supplier will vary and depend on the State's tax laws and these laws may be different from one county or city to the next. Hope this helps.
  • jake 14th of December
    Ok. So I found a place in China which sells officially licensed NFL jerseys in wholesale. I want to create a website here in the USA and sell these jerseys to US citizens. What do I need to do that? Probably a sales tax id and or resellers permit? Also since these jerseys are already officially licensed for retail sales, I wouldn't need to get them re licensed? Right ? Thanks in advance.
  • Richelle Monfort 14th of December
    Hi Jake, You may need to get a business license too other than your sales tax ID. If you are importing for the first time I suggest getting the services of a customs broken. But my main concern would be the authenticity of the NFL jerseys - China should be your last source for branded items. How sure are you that the jersey you are planning on buying are indeed authentic? I suggest checking on this otherwise you may be seriously penalized by the US customs. Hope this helps.
  • jake 14th of December
    Yes, I am aware of all the counterfeit, copied, merchandise available in and from China but after months of searching and researching I did find a couple places one in China, one in California, in which the merchandise they sell is officially licensed by the nfl and or reebok. It states it on their homepage for EVERYONE to see, also uses the NFL badge (logo) on their website and they have been in buisness for a long time, they offer 3 types of jerseys, replica nfl, premier nfl, authentic nfl jerseys. im positive about there authenticity, so i would need both
  • Richelle Monfort 15th of December
    Hi Jake, Yes, you will need both - sales tax and business license to operate your business. All the best! :)
  • Monique 20th of December
    I am starting an online store AND will be moving in the near future. Do I need a reseller certificate (Sales tax id) in the state which I reside?
  • allison 22nd of December
    hello. I live in Australia and want to buy wholesale online from the US and resell them in Australia. do i need a resell license number?
  • Richelle Monfort 23rd of December
    Hello, @Monique: Ideally, it would good to have a sales tax ID so you can charge your customers the sales tax required in your state as well as exempt yourself when buying from wholesalers. @Allison: If you will be selling brand name products you do not need a resale license so long as you source these products through legit/approved suppliers. If the supplier asks you for a resellers permit/sales tax ID, you just need to provide something equivalent in your country, in your case an ABN or GST registration in Australia will do. You might find this link helpful - Hope this helps. Merry Christmas!
  • ronald 11th of January
    hy, im from colombia, and im registerind at, this is a wholesale cellular manufacture, they ask me to fill up some forms to became a resseller of theirs, but, in the forms they ask me for the so famous " sales tax id number" , so i dont know what to put in there, should i left the space in blank??, or should i send a mail to them explaining im not an us-citizen and that i can't fill up that forms?? what do you suggest?? please help here!! im confused..
  • Irene Vallejo 12th of January
    @ronald: For us to be able to help you appropriately, can you share with us the url website link of We need to know if this is listed in our directory and we do not want to recommend any unverified suppliers. Thanks!
  • Lindsey 18th of January
    What if you buy items at retail stores and then resell them for a profit online on say Ebay or Amazon? Is it allowed to present your reseller license at retail stores and not have to pay sales tax? How would it work then if you later sold your item to a buyer who is out-of-state who wouldn't be required to pay sales taxes?
  • Nat 18th of January
    Great site! I am in interior color and design consultant just starting out & moving into a new house in NJ so I am my own first client and my own end consumer. I have gotten my ein/tax id number and I am ready to shop at wholesale prices! Do I need a resellers certificate or business license if I plan on making purchases for my own use? In other words, would I be audited for merchandise kept and not sold with a 7% NJ sales tax to anyone else?
  • Sam 20th of January
    My business is incorporated in NJ but I will be purchasing my fabric from NY, do I need a resale license for NY only or for both?
  • Eillene 3rd of February
    Hello I'd just like to ask I live here in the Philippines and planning to put an E Commerce and my target customer is from the US and the vendors that I'll be contacting are all from the US as well what are the documents needed and do I need a sales tax as well. Can I apply for it? thanks hope you can help me on this matter.
  • Irene Vallejo 4th of February
    @ Eillene: If you are located in countries other than USA and Canada, the supplier will usually want to see the closest equivalent to a sales tax ID for your country. For example, if you live in Britain or the EU, you will need to be a VAT registered trader; in Australia and NZ, registered for GST. Alternatively, the wholesaler may want to see your business license/registration details. As a citizen from the Philippines, you may directly inquire what document they will be requiring from you. We can help get in touch with the supplier of your choice if you need help in this line. :)
  • kate 4th of February
    I would like to start a business in New York state selling baby shower pin ons. I found sites online that have different components I would need to make these pin ons, would I get penalized if I sold my pin ons with those pieces in them? Would having a resellers id make this not become an issue in the future?
  • Eillene 4th of February
    @Irene i do have documents here in the Philippines a biz name. tax id etc. Do you think that the vendors from the US could honor these documents? thanks for your help..
  • Irene Vallejo 6th of February
    @Eillene: As I have mentioned, it would be best to confirm directly with the supplier, as each company's requirement may vary. If you need help in getting in touch with them, we would be more than happy to assist you. Just send us a message, specifying the supplier you have in mind, at Cheers! :)
  • Irene Vallejo 6th of February
    @kate: Sorry but what you meant by 'components' in the pin is not quite clear to me. We'd appreciate if you can clarify further. Thanks!
  • Diana 7th of February
    I'm starting an online business where I would buy from wholesalers and resell at retail cost. I'm in FL but have no physical store, and would be selling to all US states. I've been researching but want to make sure I understand the laws correctly... - Should I get a Tax ID and Reseller Certificate? - Being an "internet-only" store, do I have to collect tax from FL (or any other state's) residence? - If I have a Reseller Certificate, and charge sales tax to FL residence only, am I still required to pay taxes on sales to out-of-state customers too? - Does "use tax" apply to me - if so, how does that work? Thanks so much in advance!!
  • lana 8th of February
    I am opening an online store in Canada, BC, but plan to import from US wholesalers, how do i get a re-seller permit in canada...all i have now is business number and a import / export account, but nobody is giving me answers about re-seller permits? please help!
  • Irene Vallejo 8th of February
    @lana: I believe this is the site that you will need to read on - It would be best to contact them directly at Cheers!
  • Richelle Monfort 9th of February
    Hi Diana, If you are selling tangible goods online and doing it on a regular basis rather than a mere past time, especially if you treat it as a business and source of income - YES you should get a Sales Tax ID. Having a Sales Tax ID also gives you more options in terms of the number of suppliers you can buy at wholesale from. As far as I know, you can charge sales tax to customers living in the same state as you are but I'm not too sure about out of state customers. Use tax is due on the use or consumption of taxable goods or services when sales tax was not paid at the time of purchase. To learn more about use tax and get your questions answered thoroughly, I suggest you visit this link - Hope this helps :)
  • jennyc 9th of February
    hello. I am starting an online boutique with a business partner who lives in Los Angeles. We have all our permits and business license based in LA. However, I live in NYC and we are trying to find a common ground to make things equal. For instance, inventory will be sold equally and sent from LA/NYC to the customer. My question is: Do we need to do a separate Seller's Permit and Business License for NYC too? thank you! jen
  • Asef 10th of February
    Hi, I need to know how to get a reseller certificate, i want to become a reseller in kuwait and around Middle East. This help would be appreciated.
  • PN 11th of February
    Hi, I am planning to sell non used clothes online on eBay . Here are the details * Status - Permanent US resident (Green card). * I am based in OH and will soon shift to GA . I want to know what all licenses I need? and do I need to collect any sales tax from the buyer? Thanks and appreciate your help.
  • gonzalo b 13th of February
    Hello, and thank you for your time. My situation is that i just had a wholesale order cancelled due to the fact that I don't have a resellers permit. I live in Texas, buying from California. Looking for any advice on where to start and also, what constitutes a business. I upcycle glass bottles, sell my products online,ship, from my home. Once again thank you in advance for any help.
  • frank 14th of February
    Hello, I just created a company in Florida and I wanted to get a resale certificate. I wanted to complete the online form but I have to put Social Security Number * and Driver license number and state. Being non us resident and French I can not provide this information. How do I obtain a resale certificate?
  • Christa 15th of February
    Hi, I am wanting to start up a website selling jewelry that I have made. Do I need a business permit before I get a tax id number? or the other way around? and if it's just me making and selling from my house, do i need a LLC? I'm so confused. Thank you!
  • eliza 16th of February
    Do I need to have a social security in order to get a business license and seller permit to sell on Etsy? I live in Washington State. I will really appreciate your help!
  • Alex 20th of February
    Hello, I registered LLC in Delaware, my mail address is in NY and I am living in Canada. Do I need to register the resale certificate and if yes in which State? Thank you.
  • Renee 24th of February
    I live in the US (fl) and want to buy wholesale fashion jewelry and sell it in another country. The money is for my husbands sister to help her out of poverty. Do i need to register a company in the US?. Most wholesale places around here are asking for reseller certificate and tax id. What do you reccommend I do?
  • Monja Rimani 25th of February
    Hello, I'm looking to sell women's apparel and accessories online, at Flea Markets, and at people's homes in my area. Do I need both or just the resell license?
  • Israel Nieves 18th of March
    My question is - if I have a tax id # do I pay sales tax on materials and supplies, and do I also charge sales tax on my invoices for service repairs?
See more comments