Which countries do I avoid shipping to?

Free Member
ktoli
Hi there!

Which countries should I avoid shipping to to reduce the potential for being scammed?

Nigeria is at the top of my list, but after that I am just not sure.

Cheers!

Site Admin
fudjj
Nigeria is the big one, but don't be fooled in thinking by doing that you will avoid a traditional Nigerian scam. A lot of Nigerian scams come out of the UK these days, so I would suggest taking Nigeria out of play altogether, but just be aware. I probably wouldn't take anymore out of play personally, but more keep my eyes open looking for any sus inquiries.

Scams can come from anywhere these days, even locally, so you can't simply isolate yourself from them by dropping shipping destinations. All that does is reduce your market size.

Mark (fudjj)

Community Manager
SaleHoo.com

Link hidden: Login to view
Free Member
ktoli
Thanks for that! Any other tips?

Site Admin
fudjj
Just to give everything the smell test, if it don't smell right, then it probably isn't really. With scams, they tend to target hot items like Mobile Phones and such, so if you're in a market like that, then you really need to be on your toes. Never click on any link sent to you through an inquiry and if someone says they have made a payment via PayPal, always login to your own account and double check, never accept any PayPal payment advice that turns up in your email as proof.

Cheers

Mark (fudjj)

Community Manager
SaleHoo.com

steinar1
From my experience they also use well known peoples names. I just take a look on facebook, or google it to see if it is a match. Non so far.
Also had names on people working high up in a company. The person had a different job than on the order or inquiry. And i only send to adress that are on the paypal payment.

Steinar

ron.clarey
As to scams I have twice tried to sell an old phone I have and both times the payer hasn't paid. One was addressed via Fedex (Zambia) Heathrow airport london. I know Fedex is a legit company but the buyer wasn't. That is why I only ship when payment has been rec'd.

I also think Somalia is on the avoid list officially it has not had any tourists in the last 20 years :-)

Site Admin
fudjj
Sadly, things like mobile phones are always targeted by scammers and many of them from Africa. Although these days you can get caught from scammers in any country. No payment, no shipping and always get proof of shipping to protect yourself against false claims on non-arrival.

Mark (fudjj)

Community Manager
SaleHoo.com

monicamia.amparo
Ukraine is also always top 5 on countries where online scammers are rampant!

Wait! Want Some FREE Supplier Details?

Discover four of the most profitable niches on eBay and get details for the best suppliers for these niches. Enter your details below and we will send them instantly.

Thanks! Please check your email inbox.

Your list of profitable markets and supplier details are on their way to your email inbox.
Be sure to add support@salehoo.com to your safelist to ensure we can deliver the free suppliers details to you.

If you haven't received an email from us in 5 minutes, please check your spam folder or email us at support@salehoo.com.