help with website setup

abnc1054
Hi,

I'm looking to open up a website, and wanted to know what options i have available. I live in Australia, and would prefer the domain or web server to be local.

Any ideas?

Alan

Site Admin
fudjj
Post some details about the type of site you want to get started to get more precise information, but Australian domain registration is simple. A dot com dot au domain will cost around $25.00 for two years.

A lot easier getting a domain name as well : )

Mark (fudjj)

Community Manager
SaleHoo.com

Link hidden: Login to view
abnc1054
I'm looking at starting an online adult retail store. A web hosting service would be good as well depending on the price.

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Cheers

Site Admin
fudjj
I'm looking at starting an online adult retail store. A web hosting service would be good as well depending on the price.

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Cheers

Ok, plenty of hosting opportunities for you to choose from. Net Registry is quite popular here in Oz, but check out Google for a huge list for you to research.

Your hosting fee is going to come down to what you will require, such as bandwidth and so on.

Are you developing your own online shop, or are you searching for a turnkey option?

Mark (fudjj)

Community Manager
SaleHoo.com

abnc1054
To be honest i'm not sure what the best option would be. I'm just starting off really, and on a low budget, so just wanted to get an idea of what was available.

In order to have an online store with checkout and ecommerce, what are the best options that you have found?

Do you think using ecommerce is a good idea? Or not mandatory if just starting out?

Site Admin
fudjj
To be honest i'm not sure what the best option would be. I'm just starting off really, and on a low budget, so just wanted to get an idea of what was available.

In order to have an online store with checkout and ecommerce, what are the best options that you have found?

Do you think using ecommerce is a good idea? Or not mandatory if just starting out?

If you are just starting out then I wouldn't be opening my own store in all honesty. Not only would that be a significant amount of money, there is a list of other complications such as generating traffic flow and so on. It could turn into a very expensive floundering nightmare for you quite easily unfortunately.

You have access to ebay and trading post auctions, even the smaller independent sites that are offering great fees at the moment. As for things to sell, I would actually be starting off doing the weekend garage sales, weekend markets, thrift shops, all great sources for cheap secondhand items. Maybe not in the genre you are wanting to enter, but they will give you practical online selling experience, and if you buy well you will also make money for your trouble...and that can't be a bad thing!

Once you get the swing of things then you will better placed to move up to a larger, more directed online marketing platform if you wish, and you will have some good knowledge to help you avoid some some pitfalls

: )

Mark (fudjj)

Community Manager
SaleHoo.com

singapore101
Hello i found globat.com to be a great host.

Free Member
jimmy_huber
If you are wanting to get a website up and going have you tried Godaddy.com they are very cheap and very reliable. I have used them for a year with no problems and I get great customer service.

Link hidden: Login to view by SaleHoo
wholesalelist101
Has anyone tried Link hidden: Login to view ? It's free!

abnc1054
Thanks Fudjj, singapore101 and Jimmy for the input.

I'm looking more for a local hosting site for several reasons.

1. I don't want to have to call international for customer service! It costs an arm and leg, especially these types of calls that can go on for hours...
2. Local servers don't run the risk of major disasters (they seem to be happening a lot in the US lately), but other then that at least if it is in your own back yard you can find out what's happening quicker if there is a problem. No time delays.
3. I'd be speaking to a local representitive. They understand the local market better,and perhaps can give ideas in relation to designs etc. and no doubt i believe it is always better to speak to someone locally then to someone overseas.
4. The last point is charges are all in AUD. At least my expense is fixed, not having to worry about fluctuating exchange rates.

Also, i have already dipped my hands into selling my stuff from home, so i have a good idea on listing technics, shipping, pricing etc. I'n not saying i know it all, but i have a good idea.

Selling adult entertainment, you are very limited to where you can sell online unless you have your own site. I'm definitely not going to jump headfirst in, but you need to do your research on it first. And you have to start somewhere...

wholesalelist101, please stop plugging that site. We get it already..

Site Admin
fudjj
Certainly sounds like you have given the whole process a lot of thought, and that's a really good thing. Hard to argue with your points, however just be aware that if you are going to have a site developed from the ground up in in Australia, you will more than likely pay top dollar.

Past experience taught me that even having a developer living just 10 miles away was no guarantee of my satisfaction, in fact it was far from it. At the time I also thought that using a developer here it would give me control over my project, but I ended up going with a developer in India of all places.

Now some will tell you that it is risky using developers in other countries because of the distance, but I have been using the same developer now for over two years. While there has been times when the work was,'t completed to my satisfaction, all I ever had to do was bring that to his attention and alterations followed straight after.

We have actually become quite good friends now, and he has saved me a small fortune in development costs to having the site completed here.Still a little way to go, but it is a major project, but speaking for myself......I couldn't be happier.

As for the company that Jimmy mentioned, godaddy. They are a great provider if you do choose to go outside of Oz. I run my small projects on their servers and have never had any issues at all.

Good luck with it, and keep us informed of your progress as I'm sure some members here will actually gain from your development experience.

Cheers

Mark (fudjj)

Community Manager
SaleHoo.com

wholesalelist101
wholesalelist101, please stop plugging that site. We get it already..[/color]

It is the first time I posted that site!

singapore101
Hey why pay salehoo 67.00 when you can get all the list of salehoo FREE from wholesalelist101 plus you get more listings.
whats up with that?
just type wholesalelist101 in search engine and join free
dont we all feel like a idiot now.

abnc1054
Fudjj,

Just an update for you. I have decided not to go with web hosting due to costing at the moment. I'm going to try to build but my company before committing to anything to extensive.

Just had a question for you though. I am still going to get a domain name registered so that no one else can get mine. Can you let me know the best places to go through to get a dot com dot au domain?

I also wanted to redirect anyone trying to get into my domain to my online store and also set up email accounts based on the domain name. Is there anyway of doing that without too much expense?

Regards
Alan

Site Admin
fudjj
Fudjj,

Just an update for you. I have decided not to go with web hosting due to costing at the moment. I'm going to try to build but my company before committing to anything to extensive.

Just had a question for you though. I am still going to get a domain name registered so that no one else can get mine. Can you let me know the best places to go through to get a dot com dot au domain?

I also wanted to redirect anyone trying to get into my domain to my online store and also set up email accounts based on the domain name. Is there anyway of doing that without too much expense?

Regards
Alan

Hi Alan,

My recommendation would be Net Registry in Australia. They will also be able to assist you with your email accounts and other related issues.

Cheers

Mark (fudjj)

Community Manager
SaleHoo.com

Wait! Want Some FREE Supplier Details?

Discover four of the most profitable niches on eBay and get details for the best suppliers for these niches. Enter your details below and we will send them instantly.

Thanks! Please check your email inbox.

Your list of profitable markets and supplier details are on their way to your email inbox.
Be sure to add support@salehoo.com to your safelist to ensure we can deliver the free suppliers details to you.

If you haven't received an email from us in 5 minutes, please check your spam folder or email us at support@salehoo.com.