How to Import and Dropship from China to Canada

roysommerfeld
Hi Folks,

I am located in Canada and want to start a small online retail business and want to try drop shipping for the first time. I'd like to drop ship from China, to Canada (Canada wide) and have only two questions about Business registration and Customs

I called and asked 3 different People who (I thought) should know everything about it and guess what,.... 3 different answers. If this is not confusing,... I don't know.

However,... Now I ask one of you , who is dealing with it on his/her daily basis, hoping that there is someone from Canada out there who knows a little about it.

OK, here are my 2 questions

1. since I'm going to sell online (inside Canada only) I was been told I have to register my Business in all Provinces and Territories.

Bullshitt or truth ?

2. Since I'm planning on doing drop shipping (mainly from China for now) , do I have to have an Import permit for this and have to clear and pay the duties for the Items coming into Canada or is the purchaser responsible for this ?

I don't know if I will have the time, to clear all these (most times) single Items, I don't mind at all paying the duties and fees and so on, I just like to know, what is the best way to get a product to the client with as less inconvenience as possible. Hiring a Customs Broker would make a single Item or even a small amount of Items of lower value exorbitant expensive.

So, what do I have to do ?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Greetings
Roy

Site Admin
fudjj
Hi Roy, let me start by saying I'm not a Canadian, so I'm just guessing half of this.

Let me start with the half I do know and that relates to who npays any import duties on arrival. As a Dropshipper, the product is sent directly to your customer and they are the ones that will get the import duty notification, iff applicable. Now I'm not sure what the import duty rules are in Canada, however I'm sure there will be some threshold limit in place.

Best place to find out what your free import limit is, is to speak directly with Customs and they are the ones who implement any and all applicable duties.

Now for the part I have no clue about and to be honest, I can't even hazard a guess. Best advice I can give is to contact your local business registration office and they are going to be able to give you all the relevent information you need. If you're unsure as to what office handles those affairs, just contact your local government office and they will most certianly be able to send you in the right direction.

Sorry I couldn't be more help :)

Mark (fudjj)

Community Manager
SaleHoo.com

Link hidden: Login to view
roysommerfeld
Hi Mark,

Thank you very much for taking your Time answering my questions.
At least "the half you do know" was helpful.
At least for the drop ship and import duty part, because when ever I ordered something from abroad for myself, I was the one who had to deal
with the import duties.
This is also the info I've got from one of the people I asked this question.
It was probably a mistake asking multiple people, then you will get most likely several different opinions.

BTW , any help, no matter how small, is still considered help, right ?

thanks
Roy

Site Admin
fudjj
Cheers Roy, happy to help as much as I can :)

Mark (fudjj)

Community Manager
SaleHoo.com

Link hidden: Login to view

Wait! Want Some FREE Supplier Details?

Discover four of the most profitable niches on eBay and get details for the best suppliers for these niches. Enter your details below and we will send them instantly.

Thanks! Please check your email inbox.

Your list of profitable markets and supplier details are on their way to your email inbox.
Be sure to add support@salehoo.com to your safelist to ensure we can deliver the free suppliers details to you.

If you haven't received an email from us in 5 minutes, please check your spam folder or email us at support@salehoo.com.