Import tax in the UK

sonic91
One thing that bothers me (amongst MANY other people!) is the whole subject of IMPORT TAX! I realise customs may charge import tax, but I have not been charged this so far, even though I have bought many items from abroad from Ebay. Surely there's a reason I'm not charged? Anyone else not been charged import tax when importing into the UK? If so, how is it done, and is it legal? I recently made 2 purchases on Ebay, one is a game coming from New Zealand and another is 2GB RAM coming from the USA. I'll keep you posted on whether I'm charged, and if I'm not, I'll put why, if I know. In the meantime, other experiences, please!

grace-salehoo
Hi,
Not all goods have duty charged when purchased from overseas. For items that do, you'll be charged if the amount of duty is

Grace

sonic91
Thanks, Grace, that's a lot of help. I've been looking for that information for a while, but the revenue and customs website is not that easy to navigate. One thing I shouldn't get too excited about is that laptop and desktop PC's are exempt from import tax, and generally games consoles should fall into this category, as games consoles are not listed. Do you think games consoles are exempt, as I have discovered my niche for selling PS3's and Xbox360's on Ebay.

grace-salehoo
Hi - glad the information was helpful.

But I should clarify that the link above was in regards to Internet Shopping - ie. purchasing 1-2 of an item for your own use (or if you are the seller, sending these items to buyers in the UK).

From what I can tell, you are considering importing game consoles into the UK in bulk? If this is the case, then a different situation applies.

Firstly, you need to work out how your goods will be classified.
Link hidden: Login to view

This can be tricky to do yourself as the exact classification can depend on a number of rather finicky details (such as country of origin of the goods, the materials used for certain parts etc).

Generally it is easiest to contact Customs and request a binding tariff. Link hidden: Login to view

This is a binding ruling that means you will know exactly what you will have to pay in duties for your import. The other option is to use a customs broker, however if they get the classification wrong, you may have to pay more duties than you expected etc.

Hope that helps :)

Grace

netelec71
does anyone know if there is import tax or duty to pay on sending game consoles such as ps3 or psp to the uk

sonic91
Yes, unfortunately import VAT will be charged on importing games consoles. I have purchased games consoles from all over the world through Ebay and never been charged import tax/VAT. I didn't realise why until it hit me the other day when 2GB RAM I purchased arrived (speaking of which, I was charged $15 for postage and the label says 90 cents!). Everything I have bought is sent through the senders countries' postal system and dropshippers send through a courier such as DHL or UPS. They have to send through a courier to keep track of the item and find out if it goes missing, but this means tax will be charged upon receipt.

syedab
Hi there,

Does this mean that NO VAT and Import Tax is charged when importing 1 console into the UK?

Please reply ASAP

grace-salehoo
Hi Sydedab,

If the value of the console is over 18GBP, then you will be charged VAT. You will be charged import tax is the amount of tax for that item is over 7GBP pounds.

Grace

Wait! Want Some FREE Supplier Details?

Discover four of the most profitable niches on eBay and get details for the best suppliers for these niches. Enter your details below and we will send them instantly.

Thanks! Please check your email inbox.

Your list of profitable markets and supplier details are on their way to your email inbox.
Be sure to add support@salehoo.com to your safelist to ensure we can deliver the free suppliers details to you.

If you haven't received an email from us in 5 minutes, please check your spam folder or email us at support@salehoo.com.